Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling all! educators - What do you teach

Login to Give a bone

Question Calling all! educators - What do you teach

Are there any educators out there?
    What's this sub forum for if nobody post to it?
    It would be good if educators would post here. A good way for those in the field to communicate day to day realities that may help an educator structure their CAD classes to better reflect different disciplines approach to cad.
    I teach part time at a junior college and am curious as to what other educators focus on in creating the next generation of caddies.
    Er, what do you call people utilizing BIM? Bimmers?
    Oh well. This forum looked lonely.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Calling all! educators - What do you teach

Gerald, I see you're always trying to make everyone feel better.

It would be nice to see what the educators have on their minds.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

I try. I try.

Heck, this forum has so many people willing to help and contribute. I keep asking people in other forums to head on over.
    What's better than a bunch of people discussing issues and working them out. Much more productive this way. Though I seriously need to not spend all my free time here.
    Not.

But it would be good to have healthy discussion with educators and see what they are emphasizing. What they leave out because they think the industry will train grads in the field.
    How those in the field think about how educators see their role. But nothing is going to be meaningful without the educators.
    If educators are just holing up in their offices putting together course work without knowing what goes on in the field, it ends up with firms having to spend more time and money training grads for their short comings.
    When I was teaching CAD, my goal was to train people who would be productive in an architectural environment. It helped that my class was called "Autocad for architects" and not just Autocad for beginners etc. But eventually the college stopped those classes because they wanted to just emphasize the general autocad classes for beginners. So your basic copy, no lineweights, draw a line/ polyline, block, stuff.
    If only beginning classes would talk about the differences in application of Autocad in the different AEC disciplines.
    Ok. I have a one man discussion here.
    C'mon. Somebody else chip in.
    If more educators got involved, who knows maybe one day a Nobel prize for cad.
    Damn. I crack myself up.
    Last edited by glee.94356; 2005-10-04 at 07:01 PM.

Login to Give a bone

At least you got the title more informative for the student to decide.

I agree. I did not go to school to learn drafting or design. My background is more in the infromation systems. I, unfortunately, picked up my design and drafting skills in the office. I came from a surveying, in the field, background. I was just more interested in the computer side of things.

Sorry, I don't know where I was going with all of this. I'll stop rambling.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Naw, that's fine. We all ramble about our experience in all the different threads, especially in the CAD management threads. It helps give people a perspective on where we are coming from.
    I learned CAD in college. Well I took the classes but I was doing so many design competitions that the lecturers let me not attend classes as long as I completed the coursework. So I learned CAD by doing my work over the weekends or evenings way towards the end of the semester/ quarter after finishing everything else. Then everything else once I started working. But I was lucky, the cad instructors were all part time teachers who worked in the field. So they had solid advice.
    I didn't start teaching until I felt comfortable enough to think I would not be eaten alive by the students.
    Heck, even students taking CAD classes could contribute to this.
    So sad. That educators don't have enough free time to hang out in these forums.
    What are we doing to them????
    Free them.

Login to Give a bone

Well, I'm a recent ex-part-time-lecturer in CAD but, being in the UK, I doubt that my experience will be of much help or interest to most of you.
    Here, you either pay £250+ per day to a VAR or £100 (ish) a year for 30-36 2-hour evening classes. If you opt for the publicly funded 2-hour sessions, you're pretty much stuck with "AutoCAD for Dummies".

Login to Give a bone

No, that's interesting.
    See my mind was stuck on colleges and universities. You just brought up the private courses and classes taught by for profit organizations or CAD resellers.
    See discussion.
    How do these courses compare to those in universities?
    Frankly I have never taken those (was asked to teach them once but didn't have the time with other commitments and classes).
    So how many people have taken those courses and what did they get out of them.

Or how do we factor these as compared to those in Uni's. Are they in a way to make up for the short comings of what universities offer????

Been to London. Nice. Understatement???

Login to Give a bone

I've only been to two one-day VAR courses.

The first was an upgrade course fromMstation 5.5 to Mstation 95.
    {~pauses to wash mouth out~)
    I was never a real user of Mstation but I went along with a group of staff guys - me being a contractor - and, strangely, I picked up the new features about 5 times as quickly as the others. What does this prove?
    Anyway, I thought the course and instructor were poor considering the cost. But I wasn't paying.

The other was a public "open day" event showing an early (DOS) version of 3DStudio.
    I fell in love with it.
    Last edited by jaberwok; 2005-10-05 at 02:27 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Hey,
    I like the change of title.
    Hopefully more people pick this thread up.
    Yup, I learned 3D studio from a bunch of college mates. Banging out stuff on pentium 90s (well 486s first). By the time 3D studio Max rolled around, the bosses had moved me off it to managing projects. Figured my time was better spent designing, detailing and managing.
    Actually the first 3D models I ever created were on Microstation. Rendered on I forget what. It was meant to tie into microstation.
    When I switched to autocad, I saw no reason to be on microstation.
    I have not been to an autocad VAR seminar. I did attend the big rollout of R14. I sat next to the founder of autodesk. I forget his name. He smelled of money and had some funny looking gadget he held. For hearing better or something.
    What does this post have anything to do with the above? Just rambling, till an educator pokes his/her nose in here and gets the ball rolling.

I could stop if I wanted to Clyne Curtis's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Interesting thread...to not be a bimmer is a bummer! I assist with Revit instruction in the Construction Management program at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. I particularly enjoy working with the students in this progaram because not only are they learning a GREAT architectural design package, but they are actually learning how to build structures at the same time! We are trying to beat the standard drafting degree idea that "yeah, I can draw it with cad, but, I'm not quite sure how it goes together". So far it seems to be working pretty good. Demand is high for our students, particularly those with a good handle on Revit. How about the rest of you? What seems to be working in your arena?

Thanks,

Clyne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast