Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AU in an interview?

Login to Give a bone

Default AU in an interview?

This is another post that may be moved elsewhere.

I"m not looking for a new job, but something did occur to me. In the interview process do you think it's acceptable to ask the potential employer if the company would support me going to AU and similar events? Should I consider this a 'deal-breaker'?

My initial thought is that yes, I should ask and yes it could be a deal-breaker. If I'm going to the time and trouble of starting somewhere new, then I'm looking to improve my situation. AU, CAD Camp, and similar events are part of that improvement.

Thoughts? Opinions? Stones? :coffee:'s? 's?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AU in an interview?

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91

I"m not looking for a new job, but something did occur to me. In the interview process do you think it's acceptable to ask the potential employer if the company would support me going to AU and similar events? Should I consider this a 'deal-breaker'?

My initial thought is that yes, I should ask and yes it could be a deal-breaker. If I'm going to the time and trouble of starting somewhere new, then I'm looking to improve my situation. AU, CAD Camp, and similar events are part of that improvement.

Sounds good (tho', unfortunately, irrelevant to me) to me.
    Perhaps you could lead into the subject indirectly by first mentioning "continuous professional development".

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

In the interview process do you think it's acceptable to ask the potential employer if the company would support me going to AU and similar events? Should I consider this a 'deal-breaker'?
    I think you already know the answer and it's inside you. This will be a different answer for everyone and dependent on your profession as well!

If it's important to you, then it's important to you. But be aware that not all jobs are going to believe AU is important! So yes, it could be a deal breaker if it's important to you and not to your company.

For myself (and yes, I'll likely be in the minority on AUGI with this comment) I don't care in the least about AU. The classes are great and it's a great place to socialize too! But would it make or break me when it comes to getting a "dream" job? No. I wouldn't give AU a second thought. While AU may be the ultimate in learning environment, you can learn everything you would learn at AU on your own eventually (or at local classes) if it's truly important to you and your company (just think of how much CAD knowledge you learned on your own already!)

But is it important to YOU? My guess is that YES it is or else you never would have asked. That's what matters... so think of the big picture and how not going could could effect your life, happiness and professional career. If it matters that much to you then it's a deal breaker. If it doesn't, then don't worry about it.

Just my 2 cents...

All AUGI, all the time J. Grouchy's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bmyers
    I think you already know the answer and it's inside you. This will be a different answer for everyone and dependent on your profession as well!

If it's important to you, then it's important to you. But be aware that not all jobs are going to believe AU is important! So yes, it could be a deal breaker if it's important to you and not to your company.

For myself (and yes, I'll likely be in the minority on AUGI with this comment) I don't care in the least about AU. The classes are great and it's a great place to socialize too! But would it make or break me when it comes to getting a "dream" job? No. I wouldn't give AU a second thought. While AU may be the ultimate in learning environment, you can learn everything you would learn at AU on your own eventually (or at local classes) if it's truly important to you and your company (just think of how much CAD knowledge you learned on your own already!)

But is it important to YOU? My guess is that YES it is or else you never would have asked. That's what matters... so think of the big picture and how not going could could effect your life, happiness and professional career. If it matters that much to you then it's a deal breaker. If it doesn't, then don't worry about it.

Just my 2 cents...
    boy...that was a really roundabout way of saying "listen to your heart, grasshopper"

I do agree, by the way. I'm not, nor will i likely ever be, involved in AU and the like...but I wouldn't go to a firm that wouldn't support my attending or pursuing professional development in whatever form. it is sort of an indication of how they consider my employment not so much an investment as a convenience.

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by grav8e
    boy...that was a really roundabout way of saying "listen to your heart, grasshopper"
    LOL Yes indeed... but it's always good advice!
    Last edited by Brian Myers; 2005-10-05 at 12:32 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by grav8e
    it is sort of an indication of how they consider my employment not so much an investment as a convenience.
    Exactly how I would pose the question too. How does the employer feel about developing the careers of their employees & investing in their level of knowledge. If an interviewee were to ask me about specific events I might get supspicous of their motives.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: AU in an interview?

Doug, I am going to move this from the CWC forum to this one as I believe it will be better served here. Thanks!

Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

During my interview for my new job I did ask if they would consider sending me to AU. I did wait towards the end of the interview when it was clear that they do want me to learn and grow at my position. I wouldn't myself consider it a "deal breaker" by itself. But it would weigh heavily on my decision.

Login to Give a bone

Agree with everything said above.
    I have never attended AU myself. Learned everything on my own or by watching others or right now by perusing the threads in forums.
    At my old firm, whenever I was asked to evaluate a potential employee on their cad abilities, I looked to see if they were self motivated and had pushed to learn the software on their own.
    Larger firms that have a budget in place for ongoing technology training may be more apt to support this. Small & medium size firms with little or no training support probably will stare at you and say," AU, huh?"
    Though if explainned as ongoing professional trainning, most employers may consider it.

I personally prefer the expanding ripples in the water lesson for grasshopper.
    Why grasshopper? Why would an old blind monk call a kid grasshopper? Had the old blind monk seen a grasshopper before he was blind?

All AUGI, all the time J. Grouchy's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by glee.94356
    Why grasshopper? Why would an old blind monk call a kid grasshopper? Had the old blind monk seen a grasshopper before he was blind?
    Kung Fu

Master Po: [after easily defeating the boy in combat] Ha, ha, never assume because a man has no eyes he cannot see. Close your eyes. What do you hear?
    Young Caine: I hear the water, I hear the birds.
    Master Po: Do you hear your own heartbeat?
    Young Caine: No.
    Master Po: Do you hear the grasshopper that is at your feet?
    Young Caine: [looking down and seeing the insect] Old man, how is it that you hear these things?
    Master Po: Young man, how is it that you do not?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast