Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Migrating 2002 to 2006/ Getting Training for it.

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Migrating 2002 to 2006/ Getting Training for it.

Well, just this morning, I kindly reminded the boss that Autodesk will be retiring Autocad 2002 at the end of the year. He said he knew and knows that we need to upgrade to 2006. I also mentioned that we should probably attend some type of training for the new features, at least one day. He said he didn't think anymore training was in the budget. Have not had any type of training in forever. The one training class I am attending next week is a GPS based training class. My question is this: How difficult will it be to migrate from 2002 to 2006. We basically have three workstations plus a laptop on our network. Another thing, I have pretty much taught myself everything I know about Autocad. Once again, no money for training. I have been using Autocad since release 11. Any help and rants would be appreciated.

Dennis Rich
    Last edited by Wanderer; 2005-10-05 at 05:09 PM. Reason: clarify title

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Migrating 2002 to 2006/ Getting Training for it.

Uh,
    It's modus operandi in the AEC world for smaller to mid size firms. I think larger ones have some kind of trainning budgeted for.
    I'm on vanilla 2004. We jumped from R14 to 2004. (bought the upgrades but never bothered to migrate). Now looking to jump to 2006. There's more functionality in 2006 that I'm learning about just by perusing the threads. Dynamic blocks being my biggest lesson of the day.
    The good thing in a firm like yours is that you're probably the CAD guru, right? Makes you the defacto CAD manager if it helps any.
    Maybe do the training on your own (plus reading the threads here)and one day asks the boss for the title of CAD manager. No extra perks, no bonuses, just the title. Tell him it's easier to deal with vendors and network related business.
    Why? It looks good on your resume. Then move to a firm where it might help your career.
    Hell, I convinced my old firm to put Director of Digital Technology on my business cards once.
    Received a lot of free IT and CAD magazines for years just on that. It was just a name to them, so no skin off their noses. Plus it did open more doors whenever I had to deal with IT stuff for the firm.
    Sometimes a negative can be turned around to a positive for you.

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Migrating 2002 to 2006/ Getting Training for it.

Quote Originally Posted by dtcsurveys.80749
    Well, just this morning, I kindly reminded the boss that Autodesk will be retiring Autocad 2002 at the end of the year. He said he knew and knows that we need to upgrade to 2006. I also mentioned that we should probably attend some type of training for the new features, at least one day. He said he didn't think anymore training was in the budget. Have not had any type of training in forever. The one training class I am attending next week is a GPS based training class. My question is this: How difficult will it be to migrate from 2002 to 2006. We basically have three workstations plus a laptop on our network. Another thing, I have pretty much taught myself everything I know about Autocad. Once again, no money for training. I have been using Autocad since release 11. Any help and rants would be appreciated.

Dennis Rich
    Dennis, I am going to move this from the CWC forum to the acad 2006 forum, where, hopefully, users who have gone through this transition can give you good advice on this matter.

thank you.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

AutoCad is AutoCad.
    no matter what version your using.

2002 to 2006 isn't a huge leap, just has some extra bells and whistles.

Login to Give a bone

Oh, yeah. Should have added that.
    If you keyboard the majority of your commands, no problem.
    I'm not sure what happens when migrating CUIs from 2002 to 2006. Especially old lisp.

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Migrating 2002 to 2006/ Getting Training for it.

Quote Originally Posted by varak35
    AutoCad is AutoCad.
    no matter what version your using.

2002 to 2006 isn't a huge leap, just has some extra bells and whistles.
    well, it MIGHT NOT be a huge leap for most people. But, it could be if you start using fields and sheetsets. If you don't keyboard everything like some of us dinosaurs, tool pallettes can greatly affect the way that you would want to work also.

The biggest thing with upgrading is the New Features Workshop. You can choose which release you are migrating from, and it will tell you all of the new features since then. There are tutorials and explanations and demonstrations associated with the new features.

So, in short, you'll be able to draft pretty much like you always have. But, there are more in-depth features on top of the bells and whistles that could take a while to get a handle on. I hope they can find a way to squeeze in some training, if they can't/won't, take the initiative to call up your local reseller and have them host a demonstration on 2006 features, which they have done for many Local User's Groups over the years.

Good luck!
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by varak35
    extra bells and whistles.
    Can someone point out these. I haven't heard any bells or whistles while using AutoCAD. Sorry, couldn't help myself. I'm joking.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by richardl.25628
    Can someone point out these. I haven't heard any bells or whistles while using AutoCAD. Sorry, couldn't help myself. I'm joking.
    I don't know about a bell or whistle, but can get AutoCAD to beep

(vlr-beep-reaction T)

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Glenndp
    I don't know about a bell or whistle, but can get AutoCAD to beep

(vlr-beep-reaction T)
    So is that like the windows blue screen of death?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson
    So is that like the windows blue screen of death?
    No it actually makes the computer make a beep sound. You can use it in a lisp routine to get the users attention when an error occurs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast