Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Radial grids and walls, dimensions and sections

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Radial grids and walls, dimensions and sections

The solution to this problem is quite easy. First of all, take a deep breathe and accept that Revit is made for boxy buildings. If you still want to create curvy buildings in Revit then you can export the views you want to dimension to AutoCAD and import them back into Revit. Autocad converts the edges of the wall faces to lines. Once the dwgs are placed on top of the floor plans or sections, you can dimension it by snapping or off setting to the autocad lines. Finally, just turn off the dwgs and the dimensions will stay in place. I've done this a few times and it works perfectly.

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Can only do boxy buildings? Not quite -- but in Dimitri's case it does require some linework to snap to, and use of specific tools to achieve Dimitri's goal.

I could stop if I wanted to mruehr's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by AP23 View Post
    The solution to this problem is quite easy. First of all, take a deep breathe and accept that Revit is made for boxy buildings. If you still want to create curvy buildings in Revit then you can export the views you want to dimension to AutoCAD and import them back into Revit. Autocad converts the edges of the wall faces to lines. Once the dwgs are placed on top of the floor plans or sections, you can dimension it by snapping or off setting to the autocad lines. Finally, just turn off the dwgs and the dimensions will stay in place. I've done this a few times and it works perfectly.
    Sorry i have to ...
    Since my background is project manager and i spent an awful lot of time
    with freedom of expression architects with
    "it looks nice i don't care how you build it"Attitude.
    Its fine to go wild on the drawing board but you think of the poor bugger out there who has to layout the Building. If you build a house that looks like a ship then its better to dimension it like a ship.
    Revit as far as Dimensioning is concerned works right.On site dimensions taken of non perpendicular points need coordinates meaning a Point not a line.
    this forces the Drafter to think and not just plaster the drawing with meaningless Dimensions Aka Autocad.
    Well i like it the way it is.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri Harvalias View Post
    The building configuration allows for the exterior walls to be segmented without any real issues. The location of windows and other elements that break up the facade permit the use of horizontal siding so the facets won't be too apparent. In reality this is the way it will be constructed (ie straight beams. not curved beams etc.) so it makes sense to draw it this way. I am using the curved grids only as a 'theoretical' reference and will be providing a layout drawing to the contractor with each grid intersection located from a common origin. This way the site can place these points and just connect the dots to form the outside walls, corridor walls and demising walls.
    !
    I couldn't agree more mruehr!

As I pointed out earlier in the thread, the contractor was provided with a layout drawing showing all intersections of radial and curved grids as 'northings and eastings' from a common layout point. Worked like a charm although the surveyor had some issues with the project architect (no sense of whimsy those surveyor types ).

In this day of too much work and too few qualified trades, I often expect my boxes to turn out like this building whether the dimensions are meaningless or exactly what the PM ordered

Login to Give a bone

Have you taken a look at Digital Project. You can create specific cutting planes which allow for perfect cuts through any geometry.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Revit can create the cutting plane and the section is developed to a standard that is acceptable. The difficulty was that Revit doesn't have the ability to dimension to a radial object.
    As for Digital Project, haven't looked at and probably won't in the near future because using Revit these issues are few and far between for the most part and I don't feel the need to go through the expense or learning curve at the moment.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

curve wall dimesion with grid lines.JPG

HOW TO DIMENSION AXIS IN CURVE WALLS
    - type DI, click ARCLENGTH,
    - click the curve Reference line
    - click each AXIS/GRID line one by one to continue
    dimension in one group
    - click outside to complete the command.

Hope this helps.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123