Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Radial grids and walls, dimensions and sections

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Radial grids and walls, dimensions and sections

Not ideal but you could sketch a line from snap nearest on one grid, to snap perp on the other, then pick the line and make the temp dimension real.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Login to Give a bone

This still doesn't seem able to be done ie dimension between radial grids.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Im thinking a line based family would work for this... And be flexible enough to stay constrained if you move the grids, but i may be wrong. I think you could make a LBGM, that has references at each end, and dimension it in your project. Then the Family should flex if its locked to the grids, and the dim should go with the family.

This is a SWAG at the moment, as i havent tried it.

BTW, what are the grids made of? Last i checked, we couldnt have circular grids. I havent tried in 08, but are they actual "grids" or something else? And also, last i checked ieven if theyre perfectly perpendicular at the point the section is cut, they wont show up in section anyway, as they arent straight.

Did that change in 08? That would make my day...

Login to Give a bone

I've worked in Revit since 8.1 and you could do circular grids then too.

It's very peculiar that you can dimension from a straight line to a curved line but not between two concentric arcs.

What I would do in a project is to use the pick tool to create a detail line and lock it to the grid. I would make it short so it's hidden in the gridline. One could use model lines if these dimensions are needed in more than one view. Then once I repeated this for all the grids I wanted to dimension, I would make sure to draw a line from the center of these arcs and trim the radial lines with it (so you get the true distance when you dim the endpoints). Then dim the endpoints and if the grid radius changes, the dim updates correctly.

Having said that, I agree that we need to simply be able to place a dimension between two concentric arcs without having to resort to workarounds.

I could stop if I wanted to mruehr's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Hope i understood your problem
    What about
    draw a line with pick/lock on wall Center or Face
    make radial dimension from the curved wall
    draw a line from the center of radial dimension to where you want to have your section
    trim the intersecting lines now you have endpoints to snap to Perpendicular to the wall
    make section close to Setup line so it will align with it. keep both lines close together
    you can move the section with the perpendicular line and the endpoints/dimension snap points will move with it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by twiceroadsfool View Post
    BTW, what are the grids made of? Last i checked, we couldnt have circular grids. I havent tried in 08, but are they actual "grids" or something else? And also, last i checked ieven if theyre perfectly perpendicular at the point the section is cut, they wont show up in section anyway, as they arent straight.

Did that change in 08? That would make my day...
    You can have arc based grids and have had them for a while (not sure how long, but at least since Revit 8 ) You can't however do a compond curve as showon in Dimitri's example. The grid line can only contain 1 segment, either curved or straight. Otherwise it is considered a new gridline and gets a new label.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Shows how much ive been paying attention, LOL....

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri Harvalias View Post
    2 - When sections are cut is there a way to align the section so it will be perpendicular to the curved wall?
    Draw a temporary wall in the location where you want the section to be with one end snapped perpendicular to the wall or to the center point of the curved wall. Create a section close to the wall and it should snap parallel to the wall. Delete the wall.

Login to Give a bone

Since this is an old thread, hope I'm not hi-jacking, but... Dimitri, how did you handle the unfolded, or flattened exterior elevations?

I only found one thread that discussed flat layout elevations of curved surfaces and there seemed to be some confusion about them and debate of their necessity. This project is a good example where such a drawing would be very helpful for design development and also for many of the trades downstream, particularly architectural millwork. Imagine ordering custom laid up veneer panels without flat elevations.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

As you pointed out Steve, this is a very old thread. Thanks everyone for your responses, even at this stage. I did come up with a variety of solutions for sections and dimensioning and the project is now about 75% built so it must have been enough information for the trades.

In the end the elevations were detailed as a series of separate elevation views. The 'curved' facades were actually faceted so this was a very easy solution. There is still no automatic facility for dimensioning to curved grids. Curved grid lines will appear in section views but only if the section view is perpendicualr to the grid.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast