See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: NEWBIE SOS

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy NEWBIE SOS

Will be VERY grateful to anyone who can walk me through a simple issue.

I'm try to build a parametric column of my own. I'm using a column rft, and then I draw an solid extrusion in plan - not associating to any ref. planes (as I've noticed Revit's own column families are built this way). i then dimension two planes accordingly and label to diameter. When I change the value of diameter under the Family Type dialog my reference planes are adjusted but my extrusion is not. If I lock these reference planes in (assuming to my extrusion(???) then at that last step I also get an error telling me the constraints aren't satisfied.

What am I doing incorrectly and does the height parameter done accordingly? Thanks a $1M in advance.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: NEWBIE SOS

With a round object it is much easier in my opinion to just label the radius. go into the sketch for the extrusion, create a radial dimension on the sketch, and label it "radius". If you would rather enter the diameter than the radius, just make another length parameter called "diameter" and make the formula for radius "diameter/2". Hope that helps...

Login to Give a bone

I'm not sure if I understand correctly but maybe these ideas help.
    1. I'm pretty sure that Revit's columns are locked to reference planes, but the planes are turned off. If you go the to visibility settings, under annotations, you should be able to turn them on.
    2. I prefer to draw reference planes first, flex them, and then draw and lock the geometry.
    3. If you have a diameter parameter then you probably have a circle or a curve. Add a family parameter for "radius" and set it to equal "diameter/2". Next, in the sketch of solid extrusion, select the circle and go to it's properties. There, turn on the "show center" checkbox. First lock that center to your insertion point, then add a radial dimension and label it "radius" After you finish your sketch, you should be able to change "diameter" and have the column grow or shrink accordingly. For the height, just lock the sketch to two reference planes and add a labeled dimension between them.

Hope that helps a bit.

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Post the family and we'll have a look at it...

Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: NEWBIE SOS

Guys-

sfaust & andrebaros, thanks for your suggestions - I put in a radial dimension (I had mine orignially as linear as does Revit's Concrete-Round-Column.rfa - so that should have worked (?)) for radius. I tried adjusting this and Revit throws up the constraint issue - when does revit set up this association that constrains the geometry?.

I did as was recommended, setting up the reference planes (in my case, which were provided by column.rft and saw that they flexed properly) it seems associating my geometry is where I'm having an issue. Attached is my very humble model.

Thanks again for the feedback.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I could stop if I wanted to Tom Dorner's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

The dimension and parameter need to be added while in sketch mode for the column extrusion.

I made the modifcation and it is attached.

Post again if you run into problems. The family editor can be very daunting for newbies and even those of us with a couple of years of Revit under our belt.

Tom
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Thanks so much to all of you. You know when you're having issues with something so fundamental it had to be a simple and elegant solution. Thanks for the explanation and the patience.