Thread: Revit 2011 different windows on adjacent displays

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revit 2011 different windows on adjacent displays

I searched and found several threads on this subject, but none seemed to accomplish what I'm looking for and I wonder if anyone's found a better solution.

I have two displays that are different sizes. I want to have one window, for say the 3D view, maximized on one display and another window maximized within the Revit program on an adjacent display. I can do this just fine in Photoshop.

To be clear, I do NOT want to stretch the Revit workspace across both displays because they are different sizes and it's just sloppy. I want to have one clean window on one display and another window on another display. Seems easy and pretty straight forward.

Thanks,
    James

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit 2011 different windows on adjacent displays

I don't believe it's currently possible to do what you want. This has been on the wish list in some form forever. It would be a great feature if done right.

I'm curious - if you were designing this feature, how would you implement the view focus, e.g. you have two views - one maximized on each screen - and you open up a new view in the project browser. Which of the two views presently displayed is replaced by the one you just opened - the active view or the non-active view?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

What you can do, is maximise revit to occupy both screens, cascade your windows in revit, and then resize those to occupy the different screens.

Why would you want two different display sizes anyways?

Login to Give a bone

I think he was rather explicit in saying that wasn't what he was looking for.

Why should it matter whether he "wants" two different displays or that's just what he ended up with?

BTW, the work-flow you described is, to put it politely, a major drag, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by karalon10 View Post
    What you can do, is maximise revit to occupy both screens, cascade your windows in revit, and then resize those to occupy the different screens.

Why would you want two different display sizes anyways?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by iru69 View Post
    I don't believe it's currently possible to do what you want. This has been on the wish list in some form forever. It would be a great feature if done right.
    it's not possible, hurry up autodesk!

Quote Originally Posted by iru69 View Post
    I'm curious - if you were designing this feature, how would you implement the view focus, e.g. you have two views - one maximized on each screen - and you open up a new view in the project browser. Which of the two views presently displayed is replaced by the one you just opened - the active view or the non-active view?
    when photoshop is operating/displaying on any number of screens and you open a new file (obviously photoshop files don't have views in the same way revit does!) your new window will open in the main app. window. You can then drag your new window wherever you like. To reiterate, the main app. window can be treated as a SEPARATE window, ie. focus doesn't matter. Or, if using CTRL+O to open a file, or double click in the PBto open a view, then make it open wherever your main app. window is.

i think what jameswest77 is after is the ability to 'tear off' or arrange view panels OUTSIDE of the main revit app window, just like we can move the properties pallette or project browser, or even the buttons off the toolbar tabs and OUTSIDE the main app window.
    Revit still forces the user to stay within the bounds of the main application window for working views, but seemingly nothing else!

I also think that Autodesk should take a very simple idea from their Maya software where, if you have your windows tiled on single screen you only need to tap the space bar to bring your active view to full screen, then another tap puts it back to a multi-view like revit's 'window>tile' command (WT). Furthermore (still in MAYA), if you keep the space bar pressed a FULLY customizable menu appears on screen...a LOT less time spent looking down at the keyboard for the correct shortcut keys. I realise re-mapping the space bar in revit would freak some people out, but you could use any other key you want.

Come to think of it, Maya's tool menu bar is so slim, customisable and easy to use i don't know why they don't just grab that too...

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Correct you cant "tear off" a window and dump it on a separate screen...
    the point is that you can have two images on separate screens.
    I set my revit up to have a 3d view on one screen and a working view on the other, this is handy for many reasons you've probably already worked out. It takes me all of about 35 seconds in the morning to set the views up how I want them, its really not that big a deal.
    If you're hoping to be able to tear a view out and run it independently......good luck with that I wouldn't hold my breath.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I set my revit up to have a 3d view on one screen and a working view on the other, this is handy for many reasons you've probably already worked out. It takes me all of about 35 seconds in the morning to set the views up how I want them, its really not that big a deal.
    If you're hoping to be able to tear a view out and run it independently......good luck with that I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Well, boy, if I didn't expect improvements in the software then why bother investing in it in the first place? You think it's unreasonable to expect Autodesk to implement a GUI function that is standard procedure on most other apps? I wouldn't even consider it an improvement since it seems like a basic Windows function. Perhaps there's a hard code reason why this would be difficult to implement, but until then I'm going to be disappointed and unforgiving.

And for the record, dragging an application across both monitors just so you can manually position two workspaces in each screen is the most ***-backwards hammering a nail with a wrench solution ever. Sure, it only takes half a minute (each time you load Revit) but then you have to reposition the windows every time you open a new view (how nice it'd be to have those views keyed to shortcuts too, btw).

I work with several files with many views all at the same time- how convenient it would be if the workspaces flowed easier with multiple displays. That's all I'm saying. Tell me how easy things already are or that I'm stupid for wanting things to be different, I don't care. All I wanted to know was if this simple function that's used in many other applications is accessible in Revit. Since it's not, I'd like to know why, out of curiosity, or if this is just something that they're "getting to."
    Last edited by jameswest77; 2010-11-29 at 10:18 PM.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Right... But, that isnt what a lot of us are asking for.

Times the number of files you open each day, times the number of times you do Close Hidden Windows to speed up processes, times the number of sessions of Revit you have running concurrently, times....

BTW, this all goes out the window if you have more that one file opened at once. Tile becomes all but useless, since i really only want to actively tile what i have opened right NOW, when some OTHER times i want to tile EVERYTHING.

Its not uncommon for me to have 8 files opened at once. Between files, their links, and content files, parts files, groups, families, etc.

Then dont hold your breath. But- to quote (verbatim) a Studio Professor of mine: If you lick the lollypop of mediocrity long enough, thats the only taste youll have in your mouth.

I love Revit. I love being in it every day. I love how much it helps me kick *** at my job. That said, this is a STUPID PROBLEM. It should have been fixed years ago.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by twiceroadsfool View Post
    Right... But, that isnt what a lot of us are asking for.

Times the number of files you open each day, times the number of times you do Close Hidden Windows to speed up processes, times the number of sessions of Revit you have running concurrently, times....

BTW, this all goes out the window if you have more that one file opened at once. Tile becomes all but useless, since i really only want to actively tile what i have opened right NOW, when some OTHER times i want to tile EVERYTHING.

Its not uncommon for me to have 8 files opened at once. Between files, their links, and content files, parts files, groups, families, etc.

Then dont hold your breath. But- to quote (verbatim) a Studio Professor of mine: If you lick the lollypop of mediocrity long enough, thats the only taste youll have in your mouth.

I love Revit. I love being in it every day. I love how much it helps me kick *** at my job. That said, this is a STUPID PROBLEM. It should have been fixed years ago.
    Thanks! Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way.