Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Wacom Tablet Rocks!

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Wacom Tablet Rocks!

OOPH! Thats an ugly number posted on that thing... LOL. Thanks for the info

Login to Give a bone

Umm, well - the best price I can see in the UK for a Cintiq is the equivalent of $4,200 so it isn't as bad as you might think

The original Cintiqs from a few years ago were twice this price but they dropped it once they became popular.

Login to Give a bone

Chad, are you still using your Bamboo? Any update on what you think of it? Did the "zoom" ever get any better with the new drivers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Smith View Post
    Well my new Bamboo tablet has arrived and after some playing around with it I have some comments.
    Anyone else use the Wacom Bamboo? Does anyone have experience with both the Bamboo and the Intuos 3 and can compare the two?

Is there anyone who was previously in the "Tablet Rocks!" camp who stopped using it because after a while, no matter how neat it was, it ended up being a drag for everyday use?

Or maybe someone would like to reiterate how much they rock!

I've read all the threads - I'm again contemplating the purchase of one - but I was just wondering if anyone had anything new to say about them.

Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Funnily enough I have just put aside my 2 Wacom Cintiq screen/tablets because of repetitive strain problems with my shoulder.
    The double click using the Wacom Intuos 3 pen in particular seems to put quite a strain on the tendon at the top of the shoulder. This is ironic because I switched from mice for just this sort of thing

I have looked at lots of alternatives but for the moment I am using an A4 Wacom regular tablet but with the tablet buttons set up so that I can 'click' using my left hand and wave the pen around with my right. The reduction in elevation of the arm while using the regular flat Wacom seems more comfortable than using the Cintiq screen/tablet.

There are ergonomic mice around - http://www.aerobicmouse.com - and software that clicks for you on the same site, but IMHO there isn't really anything that feels nicer than holding a pen - although if it worked with Revit it would be nice to try a spacepilot device.
    I would never go back to using just a mouse.

Login to Give a bone

Yep, still using the Bamboo on a daily basis. Just wish I had one for home too.

The scroll pad and extra buttons are certainly gimmicks, and I find I don't use them, except for maybe backwards and forwards in a web browser.

The Zoom still sucks, so I still use the CTRL button to zoom in Revit.
    I still find the narrow thickness great, and I haven't had a single glitch in responsiveness or accuracy yet.

Just wish there were USB multi-touch pads around for my other hand to use.

Login to Give a bone

While looking around for more input alternatives I came across this new (to me anyway) Wacom 'portable cintiq' affair...
    http://www.tablet4u.co.uk/product/en...cd-tablet.html

Looks very cool although I think I might want to try one out first.

review here:
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/15645...ntiq-12wx.html
    Last edited by ws; 2008-03-06 at 02:54 PM. Reason: update link to more objective review

All AUGI, all the time mlgatzke's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I have a Bamboo, but don't use it for Revit. When I'm working in Revit, or almost any other program, I still use my mouse. It's more comfortable for me in most situations. About the only thing I use my Bamboo for is PhotoShop and programs like it, where the pressure sensativity is valuable.

I also have the Intuos 3 9x12. I thought that using the larger surface on the 9x12 would be better than a smaller surface. Boy was I wrong! I like using the smaller Bamboo MUCH better. Sure, the Intuos has more values of pressure sensativity, but the size (and cost) of the Bamboo are much more appealing. Also, the Intuos comes with a mouse/puck and the Bamboo does not, but if you keep your mouse handy, it doesn't matter.

Login to Give a bone

Thank you all for your insights!

mlgatzke, may I ask why you don't use the Bamboo for revit? Is it physically uncomfortable, or is just difficult to perform tasks within the software?

Quote Originally Posted by mlgatzke View Post
    I have a Bamboo, but don't use it for Revit. When I'm working in Revit, or almost any other program, I still use my mouse. It's more comfortable for me in most situations. About the only thing I use my Bamboo for is PhotoShop and programs like it, where the pressure sensativity is valuable.

Very interesting... I notice that on the wacom website, they make a big deal out of tilting the tablet up like some kind of artist's easel... but it just looks very uncomfortable to use it that way all day. But man, that would be pretty cool to be drawing right on top of a big screen like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ws View Post
    Funnily enough I have just put aside my 2 Wacom Cintiq screen/tablets because of repetitive strain problems with my shoulder.
    The double click using the Wacom Intuos 3 pen in particular seems to put quite a strain on the tendon at the top of the shoulder. This is ironic because I switched from mice for just this sort of thing

Login to Give a bone

The problem I find with the Cintiq 21" models is that although you can sort of lean on them like you could with an old drawing board, you tend to hold your hand in mid-air rather than resting it on the surface. I could never find quite the right tilt angle to be really comfortable - the base on the unit on top of a typical desk is again slightly high for me even when laid flat.

As for having it on your lap, it's really too heavy for that - and the 'umbilical cord' comes out of the middle of the back of the unit (through the centre of the bezel that sits in the stand allowing it to rotate) and while well built isn't very flexible.

There is a very slight 'drift' between the pen point and the cursor position over the entire screen - top right and bottom left are typically difficult to reach even after spending a lot of time on the calibration.

For Photoshop work and the like it is superb - for cad it is a nice change.

Anyway, FWIW for the moment I am sticking with a regular Wacom tablet and have ordered a wide A5 Wacom to match the wide 30" Eizo I've also just ordered

All AUGI, all the time mlgatzke's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by irusun View Post
    mlgatzke, may I ask why you don't use the Bamboo for revit? Is it physically uncomfortable, or is just difficult to perform tasks within the software?
    I have found that it is difficult to hold the stylus still when you are lowering it for a "click" to select or place something. The mouse gives me a much more reliable result for positioning or selecting items. The Cintiq would probably be better because you are actually looking at the tip of the stylus (like a pencil on a board) instead of looking at the screen, but moving you hand in another location. It just isn't a "natural" feeling action to me.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast