Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Printing Frustrations

Login to Give a bone

Talking Printing Frustrations

I'm having some serious problems printing. Our plotter won't print out part of our title block. I've changed the setting to print from computer not printer. The data light still comes on. I'm trying to print using the ARCH D size sheet, 36" x 24". I also noticed that Revit's built in title block is on 2'-10 wide which wastes 2 inches of paper. I tried just stretching their page an extra 2 inches and printing. But it cuts off part of our plans like a margin setting is wrong. I've tried adjusting the margin settings, it still won't work. Can someone tell me what their settings are for this size sheet and what the best size should be for the actual title block. Thanks in advance

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Printing Frustrations

What plotter? Many HP plotters have the wide margin coming out of the plotter last (trailing edge). Most programs will print with the titleblock coming out of the plotter last - hence it get's cut off. If this is the case the plotter needs to rotate the plot 180 degrees.

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Printing Frustrations

Quote Originally Posted by aaronrumple
    What plotter? Many HP plotters have the wide margin coming out of the plotter last (trailing edge). Most programs will print with the titleblock coming out of the plotter last - hence it get's cut off. If this is the case the plotter needs to rotate the plot 180 degrees.

Our Plotter is an HP Design Jet 430. The title block is already coming out first.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

We have a HP 500 and it doesn't seem to have these troubles. Make sure you are using the Arch D size or Arch D oversize from the driver and not a custom setting. You're titleblock must be within these print margins. We had existing titleblocks so it might have been easier for us since AutoCad shows you the printer margins in paperspace. We scaled the titleblock to within these margins and it works fine in Revit. We also center the plot on the page.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by info.87299
    We have a HP 500 and it doesn't seem to have these troubles. Make sure you are using the Arch D size or Arch D oversize from the driver and not a custom setting. You're titleblock must be within these print margins. We had existing titleblocks so it might have been easier for us since AutoCad shows you the printer margins in paperspace. We scaled the titleblock to within these margins and it works fine in Revit. We also center the plot on the page.

Yes I am using the ARCH D size. Is there no way to change the margin so the inch of blank space on either side can be used? It just seems like a waste of space and paper. I was albe to solve my other problem. Apperently some of the lines I was using were to thick and heavy. I changed some of those lines and the page printed fast and accurately.

Login to Give a bone

We also have had the same problem with our 755cm. We solved it by plotting the file landscape. The side margins are much smaller than the top and bottom. The trick is to enable the auto rotate in the plotter driver. I you keep you lines inside the plotter side margins it will print D size in the long access saving paper and in my opinion faster plotting. Give it a try.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cphubb
    We also have had the same problem with our 755cm. We solved it by plotting the file landscape. The side margins are much smaller than the top and bottom. The trick is to enable the auto rotate in the plotter driver. I you keep you lines inside the plotter side margins it will print D size in the long access saving paper and in my opinion faster plotting. Give it a try.

I can't find anywhere in the printing or Printer properties or settings a rotate command. So there is no way to change the actual printing margins. When I do a print preview the whole sheet is right where I want it, but then it cuts off about an inch when I actually print it.

Login to Give a bone

Here is the tab from our 755 driver. I have not used your plotter before, but most of the HP drivers are the same

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cphubb
    Here is the tab from our 755 driver. I have not used your plotter before, but most of the HP drivers are the same

Yep I finaly found it, Thanks. But it still didn't work.

Login to Give a bone

There are 2 key things to note here and believe me we have struggled with this through Autocad and Revit.

1. The plotter has larger margins on the top and bottom than the side
    2. When you exceed the top and bottom margins the plotter cuts off the printing at the margins
    3. If you exceed the side margins (even 1) the plotter will rotate the plot to fit.

You need to be using the Arch D landscape in the plotter driver. Set Revit to use this paper. Adjust you title block so that it is inside the side margins. This will take trial and error. Adjust the top and bottom margins so they are also not cut off. Use the auto rotate to determine if the plotter is trying to help you out or if you are asking the plotter to rotate. It is a little frustrating because AutoCad handles most of this for you Revit relies on the printer driver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast