See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Can ADT create a landscape legend?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Can ADT create a landscape legend?

I have a few projects that my office will be doing some lanscape design on. We would like to use our current CAD program (ADT 2005) to do the work. Is it possible to create spaces to indicate certain landscape materials such as gravel, mulch etc. and also create a schedule or table that will generate and give the area totals of these spaces?

ie. I have a few spaces of the style "Gravel" they total 1500 s.f. I don't want to see each space show up on the schedule, but rather just the hatch used in the space style, the description from the style and the total square footage.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can ADT create a landscape legend?

The space tag object that comes out of the box should fill that need quite nicely, although I dont believe that you'll be able to separate your spaces in the way you're describing. The schedule table will list each individual space but you would be able to have the total of all those spaces listed at the bottom as well as what their materials are. If you're doing planting diagrams as well you could create a tag so you could do a planting schedule as well

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

So Jason, is there a way to create a legend similar to the keynoting legend? This type of table may be what I am looking for.

Login to Give a bone

I was thinking more along the lines that you were using the AEC schedules rather than tables but the tables might better produce the result you're looking for. You can accomplish this using the tables(as thats all a keynote legend is) but I dont use them very much so you may know more than i do on this subject. Here are a few things that I've thought about for you to consider:

1: You'll have to make blocks of the different hatch patterns you want to use for the different materials you want to show. You are able to insert a block in a table and this would enable you to display the legend for the different areas you're landscaping.

2. Rather than use space or area objects you could get away with just using a Hatch pattern this has the disadvantage of increasing your drawing file size. but you are able to get an area measurement that you can insert into your table.

3. To get your total area you will have to use the Tables formula capabilities to add up your cells. This isn't a bad thing but the AEC schedules will do this automatically, although they wont do it for each individual type of terrain.Thats one advantage the tables have over the Schedules.

The other way you could do this but it might require a little more work and having 2 schedules is to use display themes in combination with an AEC Schedule to display the same information. You could use a display theme to show a legend of the different materials and their symbols, then an AEC schedule to display your Areas and totals. I think though that the tables would work beater for what your trying to accomplish. remember though that they dont update automatically like the AEC schedules do.

I hope this is helping you out some

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

You can place the unwanted spaces on a different layer and freeze them when you create a schedule. That way, you only select the spaces you use for landscaping materials. Additionally, you can connect your schedule to an Excel file, where you can add columns to calculate volume and weight of materials for estimating.

Any object in Autocad can be tagged and scheduled, and the same is true for plants.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jasontirone
    I have a few projects that my office will be doing some lanscape design on. We would like to use our current CAD program (ADT 2005) to do the work. Is it possible to create spaces to indicate certain landscape materials such as gravel, mulch etc. and also create a schedule or table that will generate and give the area totals of these spaces?

ie. I have a few spaces of the style "Gravel" they total 1500 s.f. I don't want to see each space show up on the schedule, but rather just the hatch used in the space style, the description from the style and the total square footage.
    You may also want to consider using Areas instead of Spaces, then using Area Groups to create your "legend".

Login to Give a bone

Or if you were on 2006, you could use Display Themes to get what your after. Display Themes use Space Objects, but in a different way than they are currently used.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM