See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Problems re-importing an analytical model

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Problems re-importing an analytical model

Thanks, Paul for the suggestion. I have managed to re-establish the link between Revit R2 and Etabs.

This leads to my next question. I presume that most contributors to this discussion group are based in the US, so it may not be a concern.

I built my Revit model with metric steel sizes, but when I export to Etabs (defaulted to start with imperial sizes), many members are not recognized, and some members were not brought in at all. Other than re-assigning all members as imperial sizes in Revit, is there another way around this?

I tried creating a template .edb file in Etabs and chose this .edb when starting Etabs from Revit, but it caused a run-time error.

I also tried exporting the Revit model as an EXR file. After selecting the .edb template file on start-up, I imported the EXR file into Etabs, but still the sizes were not recognized, and actually, none of the members were brought in. Any suggestions?

I'm also interested in your previous discussion about the flow of the Revit model. For those firms who have implemented Revit, what is the flow path in your firm? (model started by drafters --> engineers --> drafters, or engineers --> drafters) We're considering the implementation of a BIM software, so I would appreciate it if you wouldn't mind sharing your advice/experience.

Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Rita it's an old post, i work with metric units and all it's running ok., see post :
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    .EXR file

I hope this can help to others RS/ETABS users. After install Etabs V9 and Revit Structure you need install CSIxRevit plugin, this plugin enable on RS "External Tools" in Tools menu, to send RS model to Etabs and update Model from Etabs, this task create files with extension .EXR, and then you can Import from Etabs an RS model to perform detailed structural.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

regards

Milton Vicentelo

Login to Give a bone

Milton,

After exporting as .EXR from Revit, what do you select when starting Etabs? Does your Etabs program start with metric sizes in the frame sections library (mine starts with imperial sizes as a default)?

These are the steps I took after starting Etabs:
    1. Use New Model - choose .edb
    2. I chose an .edb file where there is only a simple grid defined, and metric steel sizes have been defined (from CISC.pro).

But Etabs still does not recognize the metric steel members from Revit, and the model is not brought in.

Is there a way to change the defaults in the Etabs program?

Thanks,
    Rita

Login to Give a bone

Hello all,

A few of you have mentioned that you are using Revit and Etabs v9 on some projects. Have engineers encountered any problems with load distribution in Etabs (for example, loads not being transferred properly from secondary beams to main girders)? I've tried using area loads (floor area defined as slab or deck in Etabs) and line loads, but I got the same errors with each method.

CSI has informed me that there's a bug with the import of slabs from Revit, and that this has been corrected in Etabs v9 beta H. But some engineers must have used this product prior to v9 beta F (my current version)?

Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234