Thread: Keynote Database

Login to Give a bone

Default Keynote Database

Hey guys,

I have read countless threads concerning all of the keynoting issues, and ways to create keynotes that refer back to a type catalog and all of that good stuff. So I understand how to do that and have actually created that family and have a small type catalog going. I keep hearing the term "ConDoc". I don't exactly know what this refers to. Obviously it is a format or tool contain the CSI categories or something similar, but did this come with Acad or something I am strictly a Revit user and have very little experience with AutoCAD, so if it is related to that somehow, that's why I don't know about it. I understand the CSI system real well as I am a GC and read through that stuff all day long....I have never created my own specifications before. I have done a lot of research on the spec writing tools that are out there, and we are interested however the drawing jobs we do right now do not warrant specs...but it is planned for the future. My questions is....I would really like to create a keynote system based off of the CSI codes. I was wondering if there is a digital format of the CSI structure that can be modified on? I am willing to put the CSI format into Access or something similar to create it if it's not out there, but I would like to know the best place to start. Obviously most of you have your office standards in order and know how you like to order or keep track of your information used in your drawings, however we are still learning all of that and trying to create office standards concerning all of those things. I would like some advise on where to start putting this together as I really don't know. I'm just trying to save some time. I would be more than willing to share anything I create as far as a keynote database and the keynote family once I have created it, but once again, I feel like I don't know where to start. Judging from the threads it sounds like that there isn't a CSI database out there readily available, and it sounds like it's going to be up to us to create and modify as needed. So any suggestions would be helpful!! Thanks for listening and look forward to your suggestions.!!
    Thanks

I could stop if I wanted to Dean Camlin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Keynote Database

"Condoc" was a term coined by some people who were trying to set a standard for the presentation of the graphic information in a set of construction documents, similar to the standards set by the Construction Specifications Institute for written information in project manuals. It was promoted by the AIA in a series of seminars in the late 80s. Among other standards for sheet numbering and organization, placement of details on the sheet, and placement of dimensions and notes within the drawing area, it encouraged the use of keynotes which used the CSI section numbers as a reference system. It was all an effort to simplify drawings so the people who had to read and work with the myriad of different architects' production would have a reasonably uniform set. As is the case with creative people everywhere, there were some architects who adopted this approach. But most didn't.

In the 90s the system evolved (or was merged) into a more comprehensive effort called the National CAD Standard (NCS), as published by the National Institute of Building Sciences, and the "Condoc" term was dropped. Widespread adoption of the NCS still hasn't happened. More information is available at http://www.nationalcadstandard.org/.

Now, if using a system based on the CSI codes, you must decide whether you are using the 1994 system of 16 Divisions or the 2004 system of 48 Divisions. I haven't yet adopted the newer system myself.

Login to Give a bone

Wow...I'm behind...I didn't realize there was a new system consisting of 48 divisions. Is it produced by CSI?

I would like to go to one or the other. I am tired of typing in the same information over and over. As a builder, I have built diff. projects from residential to schools. (mainly framing). I rather enjoyed building from documentation consisting of a notation system referencing something. It makes it easier on the eyes and consolodates the information.

I checked out the website and I like what I see anyway. It gives you a guideline for your notations systems. I would like to know if that is in a useable database format as an out-of-the box feature in which you could edit and personalize the use.

Anyway, thanks for the response. I have a direction to pursue anyway. Like I said before, I don't have my standards set yet, so anything along these lines will help me greatly, as long as there isn't an over-bearing amount of set-up involved....but what doesn't!!

All AUGI, all the time BomberAIA's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I used the Con Doc System and bought the program when the AIA promoted it. I still keynote and organize my sheets similar to Con Doc. NCS is great if you're on Acad since you need a layering system. That's the problem w/ Acad, everyone is on a different layering system and have different line weights. Acad sucks and should be retired just as Dos was..

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Keynote Database

Quote Originally Posted by NCS
    is great if you're on Acad since you need a layering system..
    So would you recommend it for the use with Revit. Do you know if the NCS comes in a text base format or just PDF. Would I have to create the whole database from scratch or would this at least give me some very good guidelines and line items to start with?
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2005-11-09 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Quote code repair

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ford347
    Quote Originally Posted by NCS
    is great if you're on Acad since you need a layering system..
    So would you recommend it for the use with Revit. Do you know if the NCS comes in a text base format or just PDF. Would I have to create the whole database from scratch or would this at least give me some very good guidelines and line items to start with?
    We're headed toward NCS noting here. I'll let you know what we come up with. I'm keeping my fingers crossed we egt a real keynote system based on NCS in Revit 9. That would be sweet.
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2005-11-09 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Quote code repair