Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Read-Only Question

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

Question Read-Only Question

Okay, I lied. You might have to answer it.

So this is my problem:

When you open a .dwg file and someone else has it open (i.e.: a co-worker) it usually tells you: "such and such a file is already open by so and so. Would you like to open it as a read only?"

My question is this:

If I open a .dwg file and it is open by someone else, why does it NOT tell me who has it currently open?

More of a curiosity question than anything else. Is it a setting? An error? what?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Read-Only Question

Depends on if the file attributes are set to read-only, or your permission to use that file is a read-only permission, or which version of AutoCAD the other person may be using. Older versions did not report who has a drawing open.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Richard.Lawrence
    Depends on if the file attributes are set to read-only, or your permission to use that file is a read-only permission, or which version of AutoCAD the other person may be using. Older versions did not report who has a drawing open.
    What if the drawing attributes are set to Read Only and everyone is using AutoCAD 2005 minimum?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by max.sabre
    What if the drawing attributes are set to Read Only and everyone is using AutoCAD 2005 minimum?
    Then the drawing will always be Read Only and noone will be able to modify it.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

It should also not report who has it open for writing, since noone would have that right.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

It should also not report who has it open for writing, since noone would have that right.
    so then if I take the "Read Only" attribute away from the drawing (as I have now done), and it still does not tell me who has it open ...........
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by max.sabre
    so then if I take the "Read Only" attribute away from the drawing (as I have now done), and it still does not tell me who has it open ...........
    Is there a dwl file in the same folder?
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Is there a dwl file in the same folder?
    OK, so I did some digging around .... and it turns out that the person who has the drawing file open is using AutoCAD2005LT. When she tries to open a file that is already open she gets the same dialog (without warning of which user has it open). I asked her to exit the file and tried to open it in conjunction with a CAD2005 user. The message came up with notice of which user had it open. So I can surmise 1 of 2 things:

1. AutoCAD LT has something to do with it, in that LT does not have those capabilities

2. LT HAS those capabiolities but has a setting turned off
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: Read-Only Question

Is it possible the data is not on an "NTFS" partition?
    If it were on a FAT32 or 16 data table it wouldn't know how to show permissions and thus wouldn't know the "who" to tell you who had the file open.

Try opening a file from your local drive and then try opening it again and see if it tells YOU that YOU have it open...?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by drolfe.95337
    Is it possible the data is not on an "NTFS" partition?
    If it were on a FAT32 or 16 data table it wouldn't know how to show permissions and thus wouldn't know the "who" to tell you who had the file open.

Try opening a file from your local drive and then try opening it again and see if it tells YOU that YOU have it open...?
    2005 and newer has a this feature built in. Since LT does not allow customization through arx or other formats, I would believe that it does not have this feature.
    jUSt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast