Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backwards Compatibility

Login to Give a bone

Cool Backwards Compatibility

Okay So whats up with this issue. I am on an AutoCAD ACES plan at our school and every year I run into the same issue with students. Some are running demo version that are older and some have bought student editions that are older than the schools computers. They work on a project at school and then they get home and can't work on the project because you can't open an 8.0 file in 7.0. Why at least can't there be a save as in REVIT. This must be an issue in the industry? Is it Not? Or does everyone always have to have the most current version?

I could stop if I wanted to rhys's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Backwards Compatibility

Backward compatibility has always been a difficult or near impossible thing to acheive with a program like Revit which has gone through so many releases in such a short time.
    The subscription system is for me at least part of the deal, so that we always have the latest release available to us. As the Revit user base grows to include Structure and M&E then perhaps backward compatibility for say linked models might be a possibility, but that is certainly not a priority on my wishlist. Revit models can always just stay in an earlier release if the added functionality is not needed.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Not sure how your licensing works at the school but the current version is always available as a download and can be loaded on the home machine. Once the trial period ends then the student should be able to use the Portable License Utility to 'check out' the available school license for use on the home copy.
    Besides, I thought students were chained to their desks to work all night in the studio and eat cold pizza and drink Coke. Isn't that what architecture school is really all about

Login to Give a bone

PLU check out from school? No way. I ran a department and there is no way I'd let that utility on a school system. All the licenses would walk out and never come back on day one.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I knew someone would bring that up. I do see your point Aaron and realize it would be an issue.
    Being one who is inherently honest and trustworthy I tend to be optimistic (to a fault perhaps?) in terms of other people's honor.
    Maybe this is one for the wish list. If Revit is to gain a foothold in the education system then it has to be easier for students to have the ability to use a license in this manner. Perhaps a PLU with a time limit, a Student Upgrade program that would allow for inexpensive upgrades to the next release or a student trial version that is good for a school term...
    I'll let those in the education channels work on Autodesk for that to come about.

I could stop if I wanted to Danny Polkinhorn's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Also, it does tell them that they won't be able to open it in an earlier version once it's been upgraded. They did read that didn't they?

Actually, backwards compatibility is a large task for developers and I would prefer that the resources are spent elsewhere. Because of subscription everyone should have the latest version. Unfortunately, students are being left out of the loop. This issue should be addressed if they want to get a foothold in universities.

Login to Give a bone

Another issue with backwards compatability means that the factory can't focus there time on improving the latest version and instead have to waste time supporting multiple versions of revit... IE: have to supply fixes for revit 7.0 instead of being able to devote there full time to new features in version 9.0...

My 2 cents.
    Chris Price
    Co-Founder/BIM Manager/Product Designer
    Xrev Pty Ltd

Revit Rants BLOG

Login to Give a bone

I'm just saying c'mon, if DXF is universal for AutoCAD, 3DS is universal for MAX and VIZ, and IGS is standard for Solid Modeling, then Revit needs to throw us a bone. There needs to be a way, other than DWG to talk with the older versions. I know this is not CAD but it is praised at being better, this is a draw back for me. Don't get me wrong though, I still Love using Revit.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

With other applications there is a lowest common denominator, ADT>AutoCAD, Building Systems>AutoCAD, Triforma>Microstation...what is the lowest common denominator for Revit? What does a feature in 8.1 become in 8.0? If you make a sloped wall on the face of a mass in 8.1 and saveAS 8.0...does it get deleted? There isn't a lowest common denominator for Revit to go back to...unless you count dwg?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mnisbett
    I'm just saying c'mon, if DXF is universal for AutoCAD, 3DS is universal for MAX and VIZ, and IGS is standard for Solid Modeling, then Revit needs to throw us a bone.
    Well, those things aren't as universal as you think, but that's besides the point.

The IFC format(s) from the IAI are hoped to fulfill the role in which you speak, that is being a 'generic' BIM format that would allow BIM data to move from one program to another (or from a current version to an old version). But it's years away currently, if it's going to happen at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast