See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rules of CAD?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: The Rules of CAD?

Quote Originally Posted by eleonard
    What was the standard rule back durring the board drafting days?
    I could get into great detail on this one but I'll try to keep it short. The industry standard for Civil and Architectural have been different for many years. Most don't know the reasons for why they are different. Both tend to claim the other is wrong, but both are actually correct to do it the way they are doing it.

Short and sweet here's the reasons.
    -On architectural drawings text should be read from the bottom and left sides (with the bound side away from you). So the industry standard matches that thought with north also being up or to the left.
    -On civil drawings the baseline stationing should generally be south to north and west to east. (For some crazy reason a lot of engineers and cad techs aren't taught this as a mantra in school ). The stations should always go from left to right on the sheet. Q.E.D. If your stations are going south to north then north is to the right.

Please feel free to print this and use it if anybody asks you.

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david.77185
    Whats your favorite cad law?
    I don't want to hear about you losing 30-60 minutes work because you forget to save... save now... save later... make it part of your routine!

Certifiable AUGI Addict robert.1.hall72202's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bmyers
    I don't want to hear about you losing 30-60 minutes work because you forget to save... save now... save later... make it part of your routine!
    Keep your own archived copies. Do not rely on IT to retrieve a deleted file from a backup tape. Save it to your hard drive.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Don't throw your coffee over the keyboard! (Only joking).

In the UK (many years ago) there was an older edition of BS1192 which was around either before CAD or at least before it was anything like it is today.

Anyway this BS which was based on hand draughting rules listed things like standard scales, standard text heights, fonts, keys of what certain line types and hatching mean, drawing numbering standards etc, etc.

This document has since been withdrawn and not replaced, although alot of its content I still use today. The current BS now deals with CAD layer standards etc which is built into ACad/ADT.

Just wondered if you had or have a similar document where you are?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bmyers
    Good one. I have my Autosave set to 10 minutes and still hit save at regular intervals.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by stephen.90344
    In the UK (many years ago) there was an older edition of BS1192 which was around either before CAD or at least before it was anything like it is today.

Anyway this BS which was based on hand draughting rules listed things like standard scales, standard text heights, fonts, keys of what certain line types and hatching mean, drawing numbering standards etc, etc.

This document has since been withdrawn and not replaced, although alot of its content I still use today. The current BS now deals with CAD layer standards etc which is built into ACad/ADT.

Just wondered if you had or have a similar document where you are?
    Are you thinking of BS308? Since replaced by BS8888. It still says much the same but costs more.

BS1192 is broadly similar to the AIA layering standards - or so I understand.

Login to Give a bone

VII. Thou shall not draw on layer "0"
    Break that one on a daily basis. I draw everything on zero then make it the correct layer. It drives others crazy when they watch me draw but I use it as a self check. If I see something white on my drawings I know it is on zero and needs to go on the correct layer. Also helps to make sure no block or xref is inserted on any layer other than zero since I'm always on it. I use to get grief from my boss till she realized my drawings were to standard when anyone opened them. =)

Login to Give a bone

The architect I work with is not a CAD operator, by no means. He’s more of a menace than anything else. He draws everything on zero, and his way of fixing it is to just change the color so it will resemble what I originally had in the drawing. AAARRRGGG… drives me crazy, and then expects me to fix it later. Everything, I mean everything, is on one layer and it just makes more work for me. He’s suppose to retire soon, but until then, I guess I will have to suffer thru it.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by kleary
    Good one. I have my Autosave set to 10 minutes and still hit save at regular intervals.
    I'm a qsave machine..I save so often I don't actually know I'm doing it! I hit a "breaking point" when I look away and my fingers fly to save by instinct without looking (and years of training myself...)

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by andrewp
    The architect I work with is not a CAD operator, by no means. He’s more of a menace than anything else. He draws everything on zero, and his way of fixing it is to just change the color so it will resemble what I originally had in the drawing. AAARRRGGG… drives me crazy, and then expects me to fix it later. Everything, I mean everything, is on one layer and it just makes more work for me. He’s suppose to retire soon, but until then, I guess I will have to suffer thru it.
    Hopefully he's not like my boss. He was supposed to retire soon too... 5 years ago...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast