Thread: AutoCad 2005 Fresh WinXP install causing intermittent freezing and pausing

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default AutoCad 2005 Fresh WinXP install causing intermittent freezing and pausing

Hi,

I have a fresh copy of Windows XP installed. A fresh copy of AutoCAD 2005 with SP1.

Approximately 3 times an hour AutoCAD pauses showing the "not responding" message in the title bar. It will hang for 2-8 minutes at a time then eventually coming back to life.

I have disabled auto-save and I am running out of options as I am not able to work properly.

Please advise.

cheers

BM

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: AutoCad 2005 Fresh WinXP install causing intermittent freezing and pausing

BM,
    I am having the same problem.
    The drawings are Microstation files that have been converted to DWG's.
    I had one situation where the file froze whilst completing a regen and hung for a good 10mins. When it came good, i moved the cursor around and noticed every time i pasted over a rendered item on the sheet, the CPU usage climbed to around the 50% mark and the drawing paused.

Is this problem with compatability of converted microstation files ?

Regards

Stephen

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCad 2005 Fresh WinXP install causing intermittent freezing and pausing

Quote Originally Posted by stephen.coff
    Is this problem with compatability of converted microstation files ?
    Hi

Most likely...

Have you tried cleaning-up these X Microstation drawing files ie

Audit
    Recover
    WBlock
    Purge
    etc

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCad 2005 Fresh WinXP install causing intermittent freezing and pausing

Adding a data point to this old thread:

I recently got a "project from hell", updating 469 files that had been converted from Microstation to ACAD 12. These were 2-D & hidden-line 3-D HVAC drawings ranging in size from 1 to 30 MB. The download took two days! I started in on them, running ADT 2006 as plain AutoCAD.

I began noticing long delays between commands, so turned-on the task manager to watch CPU usage. As suspected, it was spiking to 100% (this with 2 gigs of RAM) on almost every action. Purge, Audit, Recover, WBlock, etc. did help, but performance was always dismal. I actually blew the computer's power supply during a regen.

Now here's the odd bit: That project is done & shipped, thank gawd, and I'm back to drawing pretty little houses. But now, even in an empty drawing right after startup, just wiggling the mouse sends CPU usage to the top. The computer works fine in all other applications, and is as free of spyware & such as I know how to make it. I can draw a little bit if I turn off all the bells & whistles, but it's an excruciatingly slow process.

So, are old Microstation files like an AutoCAD virus, or what?

}}}}

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Foureagles
    <SNIP>

So, are old Microstation files like an AutoCAD virus, or what?
    Hi

Personally I would not go quite that far... but I do recommend care is taken with such files...

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by stephen.coff
    I have a fresh copy of Windows XP installed. A fresh copy of AutoCAD 2005 with SP1.

Approximately 3 times an hour AutoCAD pauses showing the "not responding" message in the title bar. It will hang for 2-8 minutes at a time then eventually coming back to life.

I have disabled auto-save and I am running out of options as I am not able to work properly.
    Are you on a network? Switch, hub? Speed? Is this a new machine with fresh hardware?
    If you are on a network, disconnect for a few hours and see if the problems continue.

Also, you might download filemon from [ http://www.sysinternals.net ] and monitor your file activity from AutoCAD startup until this "lock up" happens. See if there is anything unusual happening at that point. You might grab Tdimon from the same site and monitor TCP/IP activity too, looking for any oddities.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Another thing you can try is to change the compatibility mode of AutoCAD sartup. Select the windows 2000 compatibility mode voor AutoCAD.