Thread: Handling Revisions

All AUGI, all the time Roger Evans's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Handling Revisions

Hello

Poking my nose in here as I do not use Inventor but know someone who does

This person is having trouble keeping track of revisions on his work & how to handle them

For example Say in preliminary concept design stage & a minor tweak to the design occurs ..How do you guys handle revisions & drawing numbers & sequences?

Is there a recommended format for this or do you evolve your own systems & methods?

Any help & advice appreciated

Thanks

Roger

Manufacturing Moderator jonathan.landeros's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Handling Revisions

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Evans
    Hello

Poking my nose in here as I do not use Inventor but know someone who does

This person is having trouble keeping track of revisions on his work & how to handle them

For example Say in preliminary concept design stage & a minor tweak to the design occurs ..How do you guys handle revisions & drawing numbers & sequences?

Is there a recommended format for this or do you evolve your own systems & methods?

Any help & advice appreciated

Thanks

Roger
    There's several ways to handle it, each with their good and bad points.

One way to handle revisions is to have a data management solution like Productstream or Vault, of course this is also the most expensive option in both money and time.

Other options I've seen are to just make a dwg, dwf, or pdf of the drawing file if all you care about is tracking the drawings. The down side is the loss of model information.

The other way is to perform a pack and go of the whole drawing/model package, and archive that, this would allow you to keep the models and their associated drawing, but requires some manual file management on the users part.

Just some thoughts of my own.
    Jonathan Landeros
    KETIV Technologies
    Orange County, California.

I've got a blog: www.inventor-tales.blogspot.com

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction.Next stop, Looneyville.” -Bob the Skull in the Dresden Files

Login to Give a bone

I like to use the designer's notebook feature. When I make a change, I'll attach a note to the change with information about it (why, what it was before).

There is also a revision field in the iProperties. You can enter a Rev # here.

I could stop if I wanted to awarren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Supposedly Vault is going to be a base acad feature in a future release. Meaning if you are up to date you just have the time of setup. It is great for revision tracking, and it lets you basically lock it down to track / control who is doing what to it.

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Handling Revisions

Vault was developed to track versions so that you can be assured you are working on the most up to date version. Every time you check a drawing back into the vault, the version advances. This system is good for designing, but cumbersome for revision and issue control. Productstream has the functunality to handle revisions, issue, ecn etc.

Up til now we control our revisions by saving each revision in a seperate file. The file name contains the part number and the revision number. Obsolete drawing files are moved to an obsolete folder when the new drawings are issued. Similar to what we did with manual drawings back in the day.