Thread: dwl drawing lock not released - can't delete

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default dwl drawing lock not released - can't delete

I have a few .dwl files that have been sticking around after the file, autocad, all users and server has been shut down. I believe that these files have caused unwanted behaviour throught the folder structure that they are a part of. I (administrator on server with security permissions set correctly) can not delete/rename/copy/move any file within the directory path that these dwl's are a part of.

I logged into the server in safe mode, created a new directory and was able to copy the contents of the offending folder, less the dwl files, into the new directory. I renamed the old directory and now everything behaves. However, I can't delete the old directory.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to delete these .dwl files (and the rest of my redundant directory)? The error returned when trying to delete is: Access denied, source file may be in use.

Thanks,

Jason

Certifiable AUGI Addict robert.1.hall72202's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: dwl drawing lock not released - can't delete

I have had a similar problem. The user permissions may be screwed up.
    We use group permissions in my office and somehow one or more members
    of the group had been erased. When you copy and paste the files, wherever you
    paste them, the user permissions will correct themselves.

I have had files that I could only delete if everyone in the user group shut down their computers. That way, there isn't a single program running in the company that could
    have a relation to the file.

Login to Give a bone

Hi Jason

Please note I have *moved* this thread from the CAD Mgmt. General forum to this one as I feel this particular Forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Moderator

Login to Give a bone

Hi

Looks like you have most likely found a workable solution...

dwl files - can't delete, causing problems

Have a good one, Mike

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I haven't found a solution yet. I came in early today, made sure all machines were shut down and rebooted the server. I also tried the file unlocker program which looked promising, but when used on the any of the files that I can't delete (because 'the source file may be in use') it tells me that there is no locking handle. Also, it can not delete the file.

So I'm stuck. Any more ideas?

Thanks,

Jason

Login to Give a bone

Hi

Assuming ( dangerous I know ) you are using a Microsoft Network, take a look at the following results obtained via Microsoft web site search...

Access denied source file may be in use ( further refining of the search criteria would most likely return even more relevant results ).

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Angry Re: dwl drawing lock not released - can't delete

We have the same problem. Nearly every time we have a file crash (which is way too often) the file we were working on becomes locked and is accessible in Read Only mode. We use the Project Navigator system to organize our .dwg file storage. The problems started with ACAD 2008 MEP and continued through 2009 MEP. However, we could clear the locked files by switching to another project and then immediately returning to the original project navigator. However, in 2010 MEP the files won't clear that way unless we reboot our main file server. the .DWL2 file remains open even if the ACAD application is shutdown completely.

Since the "locked" files are X-Ref'd into other "view" drawings, resaving the "Read-Only" file by another name is not feasible unless we re-map this new file name to all target files. We would be spending all day doing this.

Resloving this condition requires that everyone log off, stop work, reboot the server and wait 10 minutes for the system to restart. This happens at least 2 times day and maybe more. The loss of production is stagging. We need some way to manually release the DWL2 files or some sort of timer imbedded within the DWL2 file to release itself after a period of no activitiy.

We are running Windows Server 2003 and have an attached new Overland Storage "Snap Server 620 NAS" where the files are stored. We have a share mapped directly to the Snap Server as a drive letter each workstation is mapped to. No one works remotely - all work locally. The server runs symantec endpoint protection but that does not scan the snapserver. The Snapserver has "eTrust Antivirus" - but it's not an activescan... nightly scan. Does anyone else out there have a similar configuration using a NAS file server?

Snap Server 620 NAS
    OS Version: GuardianOS 5.1.041
    Server Number: 727748
    Serial Number: SMSCSS85100003
    CPU: AuthenticAMD Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 265
    Memory: 2048 MB
    Ethernet 1: 1000 Mbps / Full Duplex
    Ethernet 2: 1000 Mbps / Full Duplex

Martin Madert
    404-591-2105