Thread: Full Height & pivot doors

All AUGI, all the time Alex Page's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

2 questions:
    1.Trying to create 'full-height' (floor finish to ceiling) door family (we do a lot of commercial interiors)...how do I make the door automatically change height to match the ceiling?
    2. Trying to create 'pivot' panel to wall....I assume I use door families. What I want is for the door to match adjacent walls finish and width (and full height to match) while having symbolic lines etc etc. Easy to model which is what I have done, but would prefer a 'family' approach...
    Can anyone lead me in the right direction?

Fresh off the Autocad boat...
    ops:

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Full Height & pivot doors

I cannot see a way of linking door height to ceiling height unless you make height of door an instance parameter and then in section align and lock to the ceiling, which sounds like a lot of work.

As to the other stuff, take a stock door family and remove the opening cut and use a void to cut the wall, that way you can get any curvature you require to allow the door to swing as a panel. Make a panel as a piece of solid geometry and lock it's faces to the faces of the host wall. Now you have a family that will take wall thickness from any host, you can also asign a parametric material so that you specify the finish. This last step can not be 'read' from the host wall and wil need to be entered seperately. If the two sides of the door need to have different finishes then the quickest solution is to use the paint tool on one of them, within the model, not the family editor.

Login to Give a bone

Alex, I am really interested in this door type and details. In magazines, I have seen doors similar to this. I would like to see your jamb details for this door. Do you use any trim? Would you share your details?

Login to Give a bone

Colquhoun

Easy

GEAR....use 'Dorma' or similar pivot door gear (top and bottom) Recess gear into ceiling and floor
    WALL ENDS....just 'stop-end' them (ie: 12mm MDF to cover ends -screw and glued fixed, mitred and 'roughed up' at corners with plasterboard, plaster over - creates sharp and solid edge)
    DOOR....normal door (no jambs) - think of it as a piece of joinery (ie: mdf on framing).

Restricitions: door size shouldnt be bigger than MDF sheet size - join looks terrible. Check door weight against door gear restrictions

Login to Give a bone

PeterJ...cheers

Two more questions:
    1. Dont understand why you need a void instead of a 'opening' cut - are you talking about inserting within curved walls?
    2. How would I make the 'symbolic' plan 'door cut' the same thickness as the wall (ie: the symbolic door is 'open', therefore how do I allow it to match the wall thickness)

Login to Give a bone

I assumed you would need a curved jamb detail so that the door would fit snugly regardless of wall thickness - just using the logic of the locus of a point on the stile of the door moving about a pivot point.

I need to think on the symbolic door issue. You can do it by running invisible symbolic lines at 45 degrees from the edge of the opening to the centre line of the opening and playing with this geometry to define a width for the leaf. If that won't do it then you would need to make a wall thickness parameter as an instance type and just specify thickness.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Hey,
    I have been facing issues while trying to install the in my pre-designed panel. The height of the door is also creating problem for me while. The door is matching with the ceiling height due to which i am getting irritated all the time.

Login to Give a bone

There was also a question. Is this discussion being viewed by someone?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by my.fitness.review792988 View Post
    There was also a question. Is this discussion being viewed by someone?
    If you have a question, just ask.
    C:> ED WORKING....