See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommended model tab background

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Recommended model tab background

Quote Originally Posted by james.eustace
    I use 252 for the backround in my tabs.This is kind of taking the thread in another direction but how many of you change the color of the command line? I don't use it much anymore in 06 but I have it set for 140 and at the top of my screen when it is on. I found having it at the top of my screen seemed a little more natural than having to look down to the command line.The color made the command line alot easier to look at and read to.
    I have mine set to a dark red colour. same as the desktop, and my office accessories. I use white text for it, not that I use it much anymore.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Recommended model tab background

I was wondering when someone would discuss this.

14 years of using AutoCAD, and sometimes I wish that there wasn't a chance to change the background colors of the Model or Paper. Starting with Release 11, the only way to change was to understand DOS. Release 13 (DOS) was a little easier, then came Windows versions of AutoCAD! Now, you can change your colors like you can change your socks (I'm assuming everyone changes them frequently - I'm talking about the socks).

I think that for me it's monitor type driven. Over the past few years I've been given upgrades and I seem to change as per upgrade or how I feel. For instance, I like my red to be a bold, dark... red - not orangish. Some of the "gray" backgrounds tend to make red more orange. Now throw in a laptop LCD screen into the picture and depending on the screen "angle" you've got a whole different ball game. I will admit it, I like the white background, for it's a staple - command line, layer pull down, other pull downs, and even Windows' windows are white. I changed our text standard from yellow to white so I personally could use the white background. BUT some colors using white background look almost like black, therefore some confusion can set in and I still miss using yellow once in a while and use it for lines with heavier lineweights.

Black is good, but over the years I found the use of colors red, cyan, yellow, green, white all together can be a little too "bright". One draftsman looked at some old drawings that I did and thought they were a little "psychedelic" - gone fluorescent. I've changed our standards so our office is using a little more darker colors or a different blends (no green & cyan together need sunglasses).

I agree with one earlier comment that the gray - 253, 254 brings out a nice contrast. It's neat to see black and white colors (#7 & #9) together.

I am also one that likes to stick to what was given to me, if AutoCAD's standard uses Black for the Model & White for the Paper, then so be it. I will stick with it - until the next time I feel different.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Recommended model tab background

I may as well throw my two cents into the pot as well. I set my Model space background to black and my Paperspace background to a very dark blue (think the "old" white line on blue background color). This allows me to instantly know whether I'm in a viewport or model space without having to think too much about it.

FWIW

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I've been drawing for 17 years on a black background, I have a hard time changing now.

I could stop if I wanted to de-co1's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Coolmo
    My eyes are usually bugging out at the end of the day anyway but for sake of the thread, I use black background for Model and Layout tabs AND I hate that pesky paper outline thingy (because it's white). If it's commonly agreed upon that Cadding in a darker room is preferred over a brightly lit room then why would you want some huge 17-19 inch, bright white monitor staring back at you?
    here here...

I prefer my black, but alos prefer working with with a desk light as my light source... preferably no others, or few other light sources, and they need to be dim if they are there.

Here in the UK there is a questionnaire they have you fill out regarding the comfort of your workstation. I really battle with bright rooms, and occasionally suffer headaches due to strain as a result, but every single office I have worked in in the UK seems to overload the spaces with as much light as possible. At the moment, I sit right next a west facing 4m high window, and with the four low voltage downlighters and the six 2m fluorescent tubes, things are so bright I have almost gotta wear shades...!

So, does anyone find a difference in the colours they use when working in lighter or darker rooms. I would expect light colours used as backgrounds would tend to work better in lighter rooms, as that the screen isn't the predominant light source...

I know H&S in the UK includes regulations regarding the light levels in offices, but I'm sure, based on what I've seen, that this doesn't mean light spaces where CAD operators work... My problem comes in when I want low light levels, but my colleague next to me wants intensely bright conditions.

Does anyone in the UK know of any technical standards that should be used to ensure acceptable light levels for individual computer users?

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Recommended model tab background

Quote Originally Posted by de-co1
    here here...

I prefer my black, but alos prefer working with with a desk light as my light source... preferably no others, or few other light sources, and they need to be dim if they are there.

Here in the UK there is a questionnaire they have you fill out regarding the comfort of your workstation. I really battle with bright rooms, and occasionally suffer headaches due to strain as a result, but every single office I have worked in in the UK seems to overload the spaces with as much light as possible. At the moment, I sit right next a west facing 4m high window, and with the four low voltage downlighters and the six 2m fluorescent tubes, things are so bright I have almost gotta wear shades...!
    ~nods~ I don't care for the super-bright lights too much... I had our building's maint. guy loosen two of the four lights in the fixture over my desk... and, without fail, everytime one of my dept maint. guys comes over, he's like... hey, I oughta replace those... I'm like 'noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo'...
    ~shrug~ I don't know what specs we use here in the hospital, but, we're more likely to have clinical specs rather than office in effect... I like the OR's brightly lit, I'm sure that's important...
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by monrexg
    Hi to everyone there,

I have a question regarding the color display (model tab background).
    What is the recommended color can be used, white or a dark color? Is there a precautions pertaining to health and safety regarding this matter?

Thanks!
    Normally, I use black as the model space background. It's what I 'grew up' with in school. But I also have a custom button with a LISP to switch back and forth from black to white. Sometimes, depending on the colors, one's easy on the eyes.

I could stop if I wanted to CadDog's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

MS is Black...

PS is Black on gray with shadows border...

This works for me and my eyes...

(The Default setting "white" What were they thinking...???)
    Have you tried to use YELLOW on that blackground color...???

See what I'm talking about...
    What were they thinking...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by de-co1
    here here...

I prefer my black, but alos prefer working with with a desk light as my light source... preferably no others, or few other light sources, and they need to be dim if they are there........
    I agree. I think it is unfortunate that the recent changes to the office lighting regulations are applied to all offices - drawing offices should be exempt.

I use MS=black with a desk lamp or MS=light gray in "normal" office conditions.
    Last edited by jaberwok; 2006-02-27 at 08:09 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to de-co1's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I wonder then how the multimedia and more specifically, the entertainment industries can get away with it. If ever you see any interviews done within a 3D studio that works within the entertainment business, there ever only seems to be darkness, or one light source brought in by the filming crew!! Digital editing studios are the same...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast