Thread: Assigned color/material changes when placing component in model

Login to Give a bone

Default Assigned color/material changes when placing component in model

When i make a new Family and place it in the model, the color changes. When I go back into the family editor, the component has the color i originally assigned it to. How is this possible?

The left image is sample of a sliding door that is in the family editor. It has the correct assigned color/material. The right images is when i place it in the model. It has a complete different color. When i go back in to the family editor i get the left image.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Assigned color/material changes when placing component in model

If you assign a material such as "Wood" to an object in the family editor, and then import that into a project that already has "Wood" loaded (with a different color) - the project's settings will be used and override the family. So you would either need to change what wood looks like in the project - or make a "Wood2" in the family.

A better solution is to make a material parameter in the family, then assign the objects material to this parameter. Leave the parameter set to the default of <By Category>. This way when you bring the object into the project, you can simply change it's material to any material you like. This makes the family much more flexible if it will be used in many different projects.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Assigned color/material changes when placing component in model

It took me a while to figure it out, because I dont really know the revit's jargon. The tutorials just show you how you can assign materials direct but not via the parameters route.

I made new materials in the settings menu, then I added parameters in the family types dialogue box. Finally I selected the elements form the components that needed materials and selected the parameters under material in the elements properties.

Wow, this really impressed me. With just one click of a button I can change the frame's and panel's color, each type can have a different material. Revit aint that bad after all.