Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ability to crop DWF views

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default The Ability to crop DWF views

Description: I'd like a simple tool to crop or more easily control the extent of the visible information in a DWF page. Even if it works something like the tools in MS Publisher where it doesn't alter the underlying information but just hides it behind a 'white out' border.

How Used: I want to use DWF to create snapshot views of Revit drawing sheets to issue as detail revisions or clarification sketches. Revisions are made in the Revit model and a revision cloud is placed on my original sheet view allowing me to track revisions. I create a DWF of that portion of the sheet and paste it into an 8.5 x 11 detail sheet to create my sketch. I can then send the DWF by e-mail to all consultants and it remains a snapshot view of the detail that is not editable but can be used for markup by other consultants or the contractor.

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: The Ability to crop DWF views

I could use something similar. I've been creating a web-based project archive with 1 DWF file per project. I'd like to be able to display a specific sheet or detail without having to create individual DWFs for each (and also be able to view the full project). In other words, I just want to be able to change the default view (from the web page) without having to create new DWFs.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: The Ability to crop DWF views

Take a look at this Autodesk Web Site. Look for the camera and use it in the trail version.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...112&id=4086277

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: The Ability to crop DWF views

Quote Originally Posted by BCrouse
    Take a look at this Autodesk Web Site. Look for the camera and use it in the trail version.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...112&id=4086277
    Do you mean download the trial and use a camera toolbar button? (I don't see a camera on the page)

We're buying a copy of Composer to play with. I'll be checking out the help file & features when I get a chance.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by lcamara
    Do you mean download the trial and use a camera toolbar button? (I don't see a camera on the page)

We're buying a copy of Composer to play with. I'll be checking out the help file & features when I get a chance.
    Yes, try that button. It is really cool.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I've tried that and the camera utility is OK for certain things but the problem I have is the capture is at SCREEN resolution not the actual resolution of the DWF. Depending on the area to be captured the results can be less than acceptable.
    This product shows some amazing potential but is still in it's infancy and needs some work before it can become the 'be all and end all' for drawing exchange and mark up.

Login to Give a bone

Does the capture create a separate file, or does it store the view in the DWF?

I could stop if I wanted to scott.sheppard's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

The camera creates an image that is stored in the original DWF file as a sheet. Since it is an image, it does not have the benefit that vectors do. When you zoom in, you get fuzzy pixels. I will pass on what you want to the product designers.

Login to Give a bone

Post Re: The Ability to crop DWF views

To clarify how I'm using (want to use) this: I'm making one DWF per project containing all the sheets. I'm posting them on a web "library" and I'd like to be able to change the default page and/or zoom in on a particular detail (I would have the coordinates in a database) when a user does a search, etc. It would be a kind of typical detail library (to promote reuse).

Thanks

I could stop if I wanted to scott.sheppard's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You want the ability to capture a subset of the original DWF as geometry. This is harder than it seems. Any polylines, polygons, text, images, etc. that are clipped by the edges of the area you select need to be reconstructed. When you create an irregular viewport in AutoCAD, AutoCAD does not even do this. AutoCAD leaves all of the geometry as it was and simply sets the clipping bounds to block out what is not desired. I guess something similar could be done for DWF, but you would be disappointed in the resulting file size.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast