Thread: New Forum User

Red face New Forum User

Hello. This is the first time I have visited and posted anything to this Forum.

A little about me - I have been using Autodesk products for close to 20 years but, for the first few years I was just curious and didn't actually do any work using AutoCAD. I started using AutoCAD in my job around 1991. Ever since I have been using AutoCAD every day and consider myself an Intermediate user. You may wonder why intermediate after almost 15 years? All of the jobs I've had did not require programming in AutoLISP or VBA, no 3D modeling, etc.. I have basically just done routine drawing from sketches or make changes to existing drawings. Let me also say that I learned AutoCAD on my own. The only formal training was a community college course in 3D for my own knowledge.

Where am I going with this? I would like to do something (another job) that is more challenging. The problem I run into, when doing a job search, is that all jobs are listed specific to a certain discipline, i.e. architectural, HVAC, GIS, etc. and require knowledge of a specific Autodesk product. I feel that my resume would be rejected based on how I have been using AutoCAD. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can break into one of these other fields with the knowledge that I have? I feel that many of the Autodesk programs are similar and knowledge of one would enable you to quickly learn another. Of course, with the cost of the Autodesk products, I can't afford my own copy to use at home.

Any advice or response would be greatly appreciated. I would enjoy hearing how others got to where they are in the AUGI World. Thanks!

mert523

Default Re: New Forum User

Welcome to AUGI. Have you tried the Career Corner?

You may want to have a look at these links while you are here.

To experiment and get comfortable with using the Forums use the "New Forum Users" Forum (not for Technical questions relating to Autodesk products).

Simply dive in, pick the most relevant Sub-Forum and start posting.

Thanks,

Richard
    Forum Moderator
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Welcome to the forums!! Happy to have you join our little corner of the interweb!

I could stop if I wanted to Sammie's Avatar

Welcome to AUGI!!

Please stop by the Coffee Without Cad forum for a laid back atmosphere interacting with fellow Autodesk Product users!

Have fun and stay safe!

Samantha
    CWC Forum Moderator

Thanks for all of the welcomes. Based on my original post, which Forum would you suggest as the appropriate one to address my questions?

Merton Garrison (a.k.a. mert523)

Quote Originally Posted by mert523
    Thanks for all of the welcomes. Based on my original post, which Forum would you suggest as the appropriate one to address my questions?

Merton Garrison (a.k.a. mert523)
    I hate to repeat this, but have you tried the Career Corner?
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Talking Re: New Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Richard.Lawrence
    I hate to repeat this, but have you tried the Career Corner?
    Welcome to the forums, Mert!

And not to step on your toes Richard, but, the career corner would help him find a job, but, I'm of the opinion that the training forum would be the best place to go to get advice and on gaining industry-specific advice on training, or the cad-manager's forum would be a good place to ask the people who typically hire new caddies about how important vertical software knowledge is in an applicant.

Oh, and you might want to join a lug, if you don't already belong to one, as they get ( I believe ) 5 free seats of autodesk software to give away to their membership every year.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Thanks Melanie, and Richard.

I will check out your suggestions.

Mert

Talking Re: New Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by mert523
    Thanks Melanie, and Richard.

I will check out your suggestions.

Mert
    not a problem, happy to help.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost