Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instance Parameter In Title Block Tutorial

All AUGI, all the time archjake's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Instance Parameter In Title Block Tutorial

Leonid Raiz one of our mighty Revit founders helped me out with this one... So, I'm very happy to share with you the tutorial I wrote for this. It seems to be a common problem. Enjoy.

For reference Leonid directed me to this thread: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...8&page=3&pp=10
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by archjake; 2005-12-11 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Revised Tutorial Attachement

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Instance Parameter In Title Block Tutorial

Good job.

There is another tutorial thread on a similar subject. In both cases user wants to see a custom parameter shown by title blocks. The only difference is that in one case user wants the parameter to vary from one sheet to another while in the other case parameter value is the same across sheets. In order to achieve desired results user would assign new parameter either to Project Information (same for all sheets) or to Drawing Sheets (varies by sheet).

It may be a good idea to have one tutorial that illustrates both cases.

All AUGI, all the time archjake's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by LRaiz
    It may be a good idea to have one tutorial that illustrates both cases.
    You're right. I've revised my tutorial to show the procedures both project wide title block parameters and instance title block parameters.

Login to Give a bone

Nice Job Jake... thanks for combining them
    Cheers @blads
    Mac Geek | Building Design Suite 2020 | Semi-Retired Building Designer / CAD-BIM Trainer | Autodesk Certified Professional

Login to Give a bone

Factory this is not good enough!
    Both methods illustrated here by users are indeed the best solutions, however they leave wide open the opportunity for user error in the most simplest way. Revit is so good at managing and coordination the drawings that it is silly to think that the table of contents can not handle this task without user added parameters creating another layer of confusion that most every other place Revit has striped out.

I have a set 88 of sheet and I need to add a sheet between 4 & 5 so I either have to go back and renumber the drawings 5-88 or add a decimal to the number.

The drawing index needs the ability to assign priority to the sheets G (general) can sort to the top and S (structural) can come before A (architectural).
    I think if I had this ability then the index would be so much cleaner and simpler to operate.

Login to Give a bone

You can add a priority number to have the index sort so that G is in front of A. That's the way we do ours. I have a Discipline and Discipline Index. (I don't display them on the sheet, so I don't need a shared parameter, just a project parameter...) See the attached screen shot.

It would be nice if this were built into the project template to avoid confusion, but is quite easy to do.

The renumber issue is one that needs to be addressed. My thought is that the project browser or schedule (or both) should have a "Sort By Order" filter. When in that mode you would be able to just drag a sheet up or down in the list and it would renumber the sheet. Same goes for door schedules, room schedules and the rest.

A "dumb" way to handle the drawing index is to have a schedule for each discipline. They can all then be placed on the titlesheet any way you like.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

I Agree, and I never said that I could not make it display things the way I want. It is just a clunky process prone to error which leads to silly mistakes which are distracting and unproductive. I actually have a very similar process to yours Aaron. I have a Discipline Name field, a Discipline # field and a Sheet Order # all that do not get displayed on the sheet. The fact that I can make Revit do what I want is not what I question. I just want it to do it better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by aaronrumple
    You can add a priority number to have the index sort so that G is in front of A. That's the way we do ours.
    We just make separate drawing list views and filter by discipline. Put them in any order on the sheet. We also have a drawing list that filters by discipline = none. It is placed on the sheet as well. This is a catch basin for drawings that should have a discipline but someone forgot. It will still plot on the sheet, just out of order. We hopefully catch it during QC and add the correct discipline then replot the sheet with the drawing list.

I could stop if I wanted to funkman's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I may be out of order here, but I fail to see why architects are listing other disciplines. Just because "architects have always done it" does not make sense to me. I don't want to keep on updating their drawing lists. Sheesh, the engineers are professionals as well - get them to make their own title sheets and then you can simply reference to theirs. We are only co-ordinating their work and how it relates to the built structure, not doing it for them! My 2c.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

some states require an index of all drawings with an impression seal on that index sheet for the professional of record.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast