Thread: Many Renderings

Login to Give a bone

Talking Many Renderings

Is Revit set up at all to do a fully renedered walkthrough? Or should it just be a shaded w/edges? I did a fully rendered walkthrough of an exterior, which took about 4 hours. Then came back added trees and bushes tried to render it again. I stopped the rendering at 14 + hours and it was only 42% done. Also along these same line. To do an interior rendering do you "Have" to add lighting and radiate that light for it to work? Or is there a setting that will just add even light throught the walkthrough? I ask because when I try and radiate just one simple light, my computer seems to freeze up.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Many Renderings

Hey my friend, If you are serious about doing nice animations then consider biting the bullet and do them in MAX or VIZ! 7-8 months ago I was at a similar level of frustration regarding full day render jobs. It can be a little intimidating as long as you never jump on in there and get your feet wet. With me it was just like the jump from ADT to Revit. I wasted 2 years putting off getting into Revit because it "appeared" complicated and had this different look from what I had spent 15+ years seeing in Autocad. Will never go back there!!!! Same thing with Max and Accurender. Accurender can actually do a fairly good job of still images if you tweak it properly, but it is a down right dog when you you step over into animations! There are some very good pointers from the guys here on the forum that got me over the hump in just a few days. It took me about a good day to get my work flows all switched over with materials, etc so that the link manager setup in Max flows smoothly. It is great! Render times are "exponentially" faster. I routinely run batch jobs of multiple animations over night in the same time Accurender would take to run just one. Now I am fooling with the next level with VRAY in Max. It really does get easy when you really go for it man. Max gives you so much more control over things. I spents months of frustration making excuses to myself that i don't have time to learn another application well. Fact is I wasted enough time each week trying to make a VW bug run Like a Porsche 911! go for it man.

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Many Renderings

Do you have a web link to those programs?

Revit Moderator
    Login to Give a bone

Autodesk Viz

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...112&id=4221521

Autodesk 3ds Max

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...&siteID=123112

3ds Max offers a 30 day trial that is a fully functional copy if you would like to evaluate it and test your workflows before purchasing. You can also download a ton of tutorials to help get you started.

V-Ray

http://www.chaosgroup.com/software/vray/

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Many Renderings

Login to Give a bone

The renderings that I have created are medium in resolution and detail. Using AccuRender in Revit, I have noticed that renderings acquire more time than AccuRender with AutoCAD. I do not believe that this is a hardware issue. Can anyone explain this Revit behavior?

Login to Give a bone

Just a quick note if you dont want to get any other software, dont forget that you can export your walk-through to be done as individual frames instead of one large avi. At my last office we did this to get long and VERY large walk-throughs done without interrupting workflow. I setup each computer at night to render different frame groups for the same file (ex: computer one did frames 1-200, computer 2 did 201-400.....etc) Then we used a free program like Bink and smacker to put the jpg frames together into an avi. Worked perfectly. But if you want to be doing some really amazing renderings and movies then you really cant beat the results you'll get with software designed for that purpose.
    P-