Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phases - How to show windows properly in plans?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Phases - How to show windows properly in plans?

See attached. My exisitng windows show properly (bottom window) with the lines at the walls showing. But my new window doesn't show these lines but I want it too.

Phase = New Construction
    Phase Filter = Show existing + New

Phase Overrides - Existing lines = 2, New = by category

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

All AUGI, all the time ejburrell67787's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Phases - How to show windows properly in plans?

Are you sure that is a phasing issue? I would check the sill height of the new window to see if it is too low to show in the view. If necessary I would also check in the window family to see if the sill lines are set to the visibility desired.

Someone else might know if this is in any way related to phasing though...
    Elrond Burrell, Architect

[Connect with me on LinkedIn or Twitter]

"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now."
    - Chinese Proverb

Login to Give a bone

The new window looks as though either the sill height is the same as the bottom of the wall, or the sill extends below the view range.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks but that's not what's going on here.

I didn't change the window sill height - I just made it new construction instead of existing. This is true of all windows in my project no matter what the sill height is or cut plane.

Does any one have an example of where it shows properly and then maybe you can explain what your settings are?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Angry Re: Phases - How to show windows properly in plans?

I just double checked this issue with a computer that had a completely fresh install of Revit 8.1.

I created a wall on the existing phase then inserted a default Revit window family also on the existing phase. It looks fine. When I simply change the window to new cosntruction the lines disappear.

There is nothing in the family that would cause this as far as I can tell. This is all default stuff right out of the box - I didn't change anything. Everyone who has every used phases must have experienced this problem, yet I can't find any reference to this issue on AUGI.

Why does Revit do this? Where is this controlled?

I need to fix this issue ASAP and I know someone out there must have dealt with this issue because there is no way to do a renovation project without fixing this issue - linework is an unacceptable solution. Please help!!!!

Thanks!

I could stop if I wanted to Paul Monsef's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by noah
    I just double checked this issue with a computer that had a completely fresh install of Revit 8.1.

I created a wall on the existing phase then inserted a default Revit window family also on the existing phase. It looks fine. When I simply change the window to new cosntruction the lines disappear.

There is nothing in the family that would cause this as far as I can tell. This is all default stuff right out of the box - I didn't change anything. Everyone who has every used phases must have experienced this problem, yet I can't find any reference to this issue on AUGI.

Why does Revit do this? Where is this controlled?

I need to fix this issue ASAP and I know someone out there must have dealt with this issue because there is no way to do a renovation project without fixing this issue - linework is an unacceptable solution. Please help!!!!

Thanks!
    It's hard to tell what's going on from just reading your posts... Can you post a sample file?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thumbs down Re: Phases - How to show windows properly in plans?

I could post a file but all anyone has to do is open Revit and draw one wall and one window on the existing phase. Then change the window to new construction and the lines disappear. I'm not making this up This is Revit out of the box. Default walls, default windows, default template. etc, I haven't changed a thing. I just want to know why Revit erases these lines for a new window inserted in an exsiting wall.

And it doesn't matter if the phase is set to New or Complete - it shows the same way.

What I'm hoping for is someone who has configured Revit to show the windows properly send me their file or tell me what settings they're using. Sending you my file would be pretty silly since I didn't change a thing.

Anyone out there who has actually fixed this problem??????

Thanks,

noah

Login to Give a bone

OK I did exactly as you you said... but sadly I can't repeat your problems...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers @blads
    Mac Geek | Building Design Suite 2020 | Semi-Retired Building Designer / CAD-BIM Trainer | Autodesk Certified Professional

Login to Give a bone

I can confirm the issue you're having. It only occurs when adding new windows to existing walls. I simply created an existing wall and added a stock 36"x48" fixed window to it. Changed the phase to New + Previous.

It's not something I'd ever notice because my windows and doors have pretty much been recreated from scratch in order to get anything decent (it's unfortunate it has to be that way). I'm not sure if the window families have changed or not recently, but the 8.1 windows don't have symbolic lines at the sill edges.

I've attached a stock window with the symbolic lines added (I didn't test it out in all conditions, but it should give you the basic idea).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by iru69; 2006-01-07 at 02:00 AM.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Phases - How to show windows properly in plans?

Thank You irusun! I was starting to think that it must be within the family.Thanks to your family I see how to make it work correctly. I still don't see why Revit doesn't show the lines - it makes no sense. Somebody at the factory must have made the concious decision to turn off these lines - but why? And these apparently are the lines of the wall below the window and have nothing to do with the window family. So adding symbolic lines in the family solves the problem.

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast