Thread: Same old Hatch problems... Valid hatch boundary cannot be found...

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Same old Hatch problems... Valid hatch boundary cannot be found...

AutoCAD has had hatching problems since the dinosaurs roamed the earth. I am now sick of it. Is there any solution or add on program that can eliminate me chopping up a drawing so it can be hatched. EG. a valid hatch boundry cannot be found for a closed polyline with an elevation of 0. but if i move it, it will be found. (this works but then i've lost my association when i move it back.)

any takers?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Same old Hatch problems... Valid hatch boundary cannot be found...

I suppose you use astronomic coordinates, please step down to the earth.

: ) Happy Computing !

kennet

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I didn't design the coordinate system, I just follow it. I could always convert our surveys to Lat and Long if that would be easier for Autodesk to get their Hatching issues ironed out. (lol - just kidding).

Even when I'm working on drawings with no coord system the I still have this issue of invalid boundry.

Login to Give a bone

Hi

Maybe try the information found in the following thread...

Hatch patterns playing you up

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Mike,

I'm wondering if you, or anyone else, have ever come accross a situation with a hatch pattern that will not erase, move, or cease to exist if exploded. I have a drawing with several hatch patterns that I would like to modify, but when I try to erase them, the command line says: "ERASE 1 found", but the hatch is still there no matter how many times or how I pick the hatch. The hatch dissapears when I try to move it, but comes back when the drawing is refreshed. I can explode the hatch and move the exploded hatch, but the same hatch is still there, unexploded. There are some hatch patterns in the drawing that I can modify, erase, and explode. It's just a few that have the problem, but I would like to understand what is going on so I can modify my drawing.

Thanks

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dhamilton.182220 View Post
    Mike,

I'm wondering if you, or anyone else, have ever come accross a situation with a hatch pattern that will not erase, move, or cease to exist if exploded. I have a drawing with several hatch patterns that I would like to modify, but when I try to erase them, the command line says: "ERASE 1 found", but the hatch is still there no matter how many times or how I pick the hatch. The hatch dissapears when I try to move it, but comes back when the drawing is refreshed. I can explode the hatch and move the exploded hatch, but the same hatch is still there, unexploded. There are some hatch patterns in the drawing that I can modify, erase, and explode. It's just a few that have the problem, but I would like to understand what is going on so I can modify my drawing.

Thanks
    Have you checked to see if it is associated or not - you can find it listed in properties? If it is associated make it un-associated by changing the property and then try to erase. Also try to break the boundary that the hatch is in. This should disassociate the hatch and then try to erase.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by StephenJ View Post
    Have you checked to see if it is associated or not - you can find it listed in properties? If it is associated make it un-associated by changing the property and then try to erase. Also try to break the boundary that the hatch is in. This should disassociate the hatch and then try to erase.

The hatch was associated when I originally created it. I tried to disassociate it using the hatch edit window and by deleting the boundary, but the hatch remains associated. I tried changing it to unassociated using the properties dialogue box, but I get an error window that says: "Object was open for read", and the hatch remains associated. The only thing that I found that works marginally is to close the drawing completely and re-open it. I can then delete or modify the hatch for a while. But if I keep working in the drawing for some time, the same problems start to happen to several of the previously and newly created hatch patterns.

Thanks for your help.

Login to Give a bone

Third application ? ( MagiCAD, ADT . . .

If plain AutoCAD try :
    Command: audit

: ) Happy Computing !

kennet

Login to Give a bone

Two things sometimes can help --

before hatching ( or rehatching on a failed boundary that you know is a closed pline) run OVERKILL. that will fix overlapping segments that hatching can't deal with.

reset the hatch origin close to the boundary -- that can help minimize the 'large coordinate' problem Acad has with hatches

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Another thing to do is to select everything in the drawing then filter the hatches from the properties window and then select the associativity to "NO". This will globally change all the hatches associativity off and may resolve the problem.

I did not see if you tried the break command to break a line, poly, or boundary that is creating the boundary for the associative hatch.

Are there x-refs in the drawing and what version/flavor (or should that be flavour) are you using?

If there are x-refs the hatch could be associated with the x-ref boundary and that could create the issue.