Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phased about phasing

Login to Give a bone

Just stated a new project - renovating a commercial building.

Obviously everthing I start drawing should be in Phase 1 - Existing , right ? Then stuff to be demolished gets put in Phase 2 - Demolition and new stuff goes in phase 3 - New Construction. Makes sense to me anyway
    Trouble is that Revit thinks everthing I start drawing is new construction and automatically assigns it to phase 3. So I've go to go back, select everthing I drew and change it to Phase 1

So, my question is ... is there a way to pre-assign elements to a particular stage ? ( I have looked .... )
    Then again, am I going about this the right way ?

beegee

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Phased about phasing

from what I see after taking a look at it, the only way to set it up the way you want it is to assign a phase (i.e. existing - I guess in your case) to the views you are working on before you draw the walls or other components that belong to that phase.
    This will automatically assign the view's phase to the component you are adding to the project...
    as there is no Phase property to the component properties that you can assign before you actually add the component...

It works for me though I never tried it in a production environment...

All AUGI, all the time ajayholland's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You won't need a separate phase for demolition. Revit "understands" how to display the objects based on their phase property.

At first, I had a difficult time with phase filters (previous + new, previous + existing, etc.) but now I've got a handle on it.

To create objects in the existing construction phase, change the setting of the view in which you are modeling. The default setting assumes that newly created elements belong to "New Construction".

-AJH

Login to Give a bone

Thanks guys,

I'll be giving the view settings a try today.

Soooo .... I only need 2 phases - 1 = Existing and 2 = New Construction ? hmmmm.

beegee

All AUGI, all the time ajayholland's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Originally there were some quirks when it came to the demolition of existing doors and windows. Earlier versions left a hole when construction within an opening was demolished.

Currently, Revit will automatically infill the opening with material identical to the host wall. You can also now place new openings within or overlapping the boundaries of ones that have been demolished.

You'll create demolition plans by manipulating the phase filters of duplicate plan views.

Finally, I really enjoy knocking out objects with that little hammer cursor.

-AJH

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ajholland
    Finally, I really enjoy knocking out objects with that little hammer cursor.

-AJH
    Yeah ! be good if we had sound effects also .... the rumble of a wall coming down. How about an animated graphic puff of smoke too ?

Ah... don't mind me - I get a bit of cabin fever working long hours on my projects. ops:

beegee

Login to Give a bone

I've tried modifying the view properties to existing and everything else disappears in my project apart from the grid lines. Any ideas?

Trent

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Once you've got stuff in an existing phase and a new new phase you need to use the Phase filters too.

If you want to see new stuff with existing and no demo...set your view to New Construction then set the Filter to Show Previous phase and New.

If you just want to see existing then leave the view in New Construction and change your phase filter to Show Previous instead.

If you are trying to add some existing stuff after having added new, then change the phase to existing and then the filter to none or show all. You'll see the new stuff too, but the new stuff will be added to the existing phase.

This is why a phase paint brush would be very handy, draw some stuff and paint on the phase.

Assuming default phase settings are available

I could stop if I wanted to David Conant's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I was thinking about sound effects the other day while working with my son using Kid Pix (my favorite graphics app).
    Trim: A screaming circular saw
    Split: a handsaw
    Graded Region: Clanking bulldozer treads
    Delete: Flushing
    Wall: Framing hammers pounding
    Building Pad: Concrete mixer
    add your own...

Login to Give a bone

Doesn't SimCity make noises like that when you build train tracks etc? I wouldn't know whether I was working or playing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast