Thread: Manageability of Civil Coutour Objects

Login to Give a bone

Default Manageability of Civil Coutour Objects

Hello,

I despise working with Civil Contour objects due to the fact that they do not have the 'editability' that 2D or 3D polylines has. It would be nice to have the ability to add verticies to a civil contour object. Many times during the course of a project, contours get revised. What ends up happening is the contour being modified get a section brocken out of it and redrafted leaving that contour in several segments. It would also be great if you could join seperate (segmental) contour lines together. There just needs to be more editability functions available. Until then, I refuse to use civil contour objects. 2d polylines work nice and you do not have to deal with the headaches of trying to get your contour object finessed easily.

Thanks,
    348patterson

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Manageability of Civil Coutour Objects

Are these your contours or did you get them from someone else? If they are yours just use the create from polyline routine. If they are not your contours. To help with your problem, all you need to do is explode the contour then it becomes a 3D polyline. Then you can edit it much easier.

I could stop if I wanted to Ammon's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by 348PATTERSON
    Hello,

I despise working with Civil Contour objects due to the fact that they do not have the 'editability' that 2D or 3D polylines has. It would be nice to have the ability to add verticies to a civil contour object. Many times during the course of a project, contours get revised. What ends up happening is the contour being modified get a section brocken out of it and redrafted leaving that contour in several segments. It would also be great if you could join seperate (segmental) contour lines together. There just needs to be more editability functions available. Until then, I refuse to use civil contour objects. 2d polylines work nice and you do not have to deal with the headaches of trying to get your contour object finessed easily.

Thanks,
    348patterson
    I agree that Civil Contour objects need to have increased editability. You, at the very least, need to be able to join them together and add vertices, like you said. However, I wouldn't shoot yourself in the foot by refusing to use them. They do have advantages over 2D polylines. Labeling is the main reason I like to use them. The labels are repositionable and also can be set to always be plan readable, so that if in paper space and you have the same contour visible in two viewports, and one viewport would show the label upside down if it were just plain text, will flip and show plan readable in both viewports. You can also adjust the smoothness of the contours. We all know that contours do not take sharp angular turns. I use the "add vertices" function in the contour style to make them more curvalinear. You can't adjust that with a 2d polyline.

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I would like to see the ability to make certain vertices come out at sharp angles by selecting the curve. We use a true V Ditch here which does have a sharp point in the contour, as does a curb and gutter intersection. I usually use Countour Objects to get my basic layout, then explode them to Plines and edit the vertices I need to be sharp as needed. Once I have the Objects converted though, I will weed out most of the vertices before I attempt to modify the Plines.