Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: using the mouse buttons more

Login to Give a bone

Default using the mouse buttons more

I don't know if this issue has been addressed. But since I started out as a production draftsman I am always looking to improve productivity. I think using the mouse buttons
    more would be more productive. You should never have to take your hand off the mouse. Your left hand should be on the left side of the keyboard with all the shortcuts defined with the left side letters. such as (cc-copy), (x-undo). I would like to see the right button repeat the previous command when out of a command mode. However, in a command such as an edit command, I would like to see the right command close the command or close the edit such as finish the line in a roof. I think also that being able to click the left mouse button to signify inches and the right to signify feet would help avoid having to find either the parentheses or having to type 0 space (a number). For example, when you click on a dimension to edit it. Say you enter 3, if you click on the left button it becomes 3 inches, the right mouse button becomes 3 feet. Make it quick and easy.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: using the mouse buttons more

My wrist started to ache just reading your post!

Well, of course you can assign the shortcuts to just about whatever keys you want. Keep in mind that not all of us use the right hand for the mouse and the left hand for the keyboard, so I appreciate that they're flexible in this way. There are some interesting threads around here about setting up custom numeric keypads for very quick shortcut access with one hand. Lot's of people have suggested having more commands accessible by shortcuts.

Your other comments on using the mouse to finish an edit have been suggested many times before.

I've never seen the idea about the left/right clicks to determine inches/feet before. Interesting. I still long for the days (in AutoCAD) of entering everything in inches (yes, I now use the "0" trick, but it's still two more keystrokes than needed a hundred times a day).

All AUGI, all the time Max Lloyd's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

get metric guys and you'll never have that problem again!

Login to Give a bone

Ah you're just too stuck in AutoCAD hehehe I don't mind entering 0-7 or whatever for inches. What I don't like is having to hit space after the inches for a fraction. I try to do it in decimals whenever I can.

There is a little add-on called Revit Inchworm that allows for unit entry in inches. I tried it once but didn't like it, but some of you more used to AutoCAD may like it better. I think I deleted it off my machine, I'm sure a little searching on here would turn it up.

I could stop if I wanted to Matt Brennan's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Another quick mouse productivity tool that I found is my TILT Microsoft explorer mouse. When I dimension a floor plan, I tilt the scroll button to the way I will be dimension and acts as a straight pan. I do not know how many others are using this but I find it saves that little bit of time that adds up at the end of the day.

Login to Give a bone

I have one of those tilt-wheel/4-way scrolling mice that I tried with Revit once, and I didn't like it at all. It was quite difficult to press down on the wheel to do normal panning without accidentally tilting the wheel one way or the other and getting all kinds of crazy behavoir.

I could stop if I wanted to Matt Brennan's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks
    I have one of those tilt-wheel/4-way scrolling mice that I tried with Revit once, and I didn't like it at all. It was quite difficult to press down on the wheel to do normal panning without accidentally tilting the wheel one way or the other and getting all kinds of crazy behavoir.
    Really? I love it. At first I too found it very frustrating but after time I got used to it. I just wish it worked the same in Autocad as in Revit.
    Last edited by independentdrafting; 2006-01-24 at 06:54 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to Mike Hardy-Brown's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ctdrafting
    .............You should never have to take your hand off the mouse. Your left hand should be on the left side of the keyboard with all the shortcuts defined with the left side letters. such as (cc-copy), (x-undo).............
    Have a look at BEEGEE's blog
    Last edited by beegee; 2006-01-24 at 10:06 PM.

Login to Give a bone

^^^ link no workie

Login to Give a bone

Link fixed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast