Thread: Walls defined as families with user defined parameters

Walls are basically just extrusions based on properties. The difference is that they are "walls" and therefore interact with levels, roofs, floors, etc.

What I really would like Revit to do is to give us the ability to create wall "families" basically just a profile type of thing. This would allow more flexibility then the current wall dialog.

Here is an example: We typically use stone veneer which flairs out at the bottom. Revit offers a number of ways to do this with families, sweeps, and host sweeps. All work...kind of, but if you have varying heights what do you do? You have to create a new type every time. I tried bypassing this by creating a family with the height set to "by instance" and this sort of works but not quite. I want to be able to lock the height of the extrusion to levels in the same way I do with walls…and I want it to be quick and easy.

If Revit would allow us to create wall styles with the same flexibilities that we create families with it would be amazing. With reference planes and family parameters you could create something really parametric. Our stone veneer could flex with the levels and extend to roofs/floors/footings in the same way that walls do, but you would also be able to create additional parameters like the angle of the taper!!! and thickness, etc.

Long post, but I basically just want Revit to allow me to create walls based on families, so that I can set the parameters that I need. It would really go beyond the current dialog box (which could stay for standard walls).

Jon Giebeler

Ps

If you could create wall styles as you do families it would be cool if you could also reference levels etc. For footings you could have a min depth under grade. That way you draw your footings in plan and have styles for different type of footings, 1 stry, 2stry, etc. For sloped lots the footing would automatically extend to a min depth defined and then when you cut your sections you are already good to go.

Default Re: Walls defined as families with user defined parameters

After playing around with similar issues, the best approach I've had is to limit the sweeps to those things that are uniform in level. If I have a wall composed of a footing, foundation, brick ledge with stem wall and wall. I make each of these a separate wall type. With these 'parts' I just build the wall the way it exists. I makes stepping the foundation and brick ledge much simpler.

If I have a wall composed of a footing, foundation, brick ledge with stem wall and wall. I make each of these a separate wall type. With these 'parts' I just build the wall the way it exists. I makes stepping the foundation and brick ledge much simpler.
    This is what I have been doing and what I did with ADT, however you cannot make a wall type that flairs out at constant slope...1,2,7 degrees etc. I would like to define the walls thickness at the top, i.e. 6”, and then have it flair out at a given angle. If I change the height of the wall the thickness at the bottom would increase. I can create a family that does exactly this, but since it is not a wall it does not clean up, lock to levels, etc.

If I could define a wall style as a family I could make this slope/flair a parameter and keep the ability of walls to link to levels, extend etc, then there would be no problem. However at this moment if you want you veneer to flair out there is not an easy method...if that veneer varies in height.

The more I think about it, it seems that defining walls as a type of multi layered family would give you increased flexibility.

J. Giebeler

suspect we will see this in the upcoming release of revit 2022 in few days time
    https://trello.com/c/OJ3X7dTD/39-tapered-walls