Thread: Image File Path

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Image File Path

Hi

I am getting confused as to how this works and not sure if I can explain but here goes.

I am creating a drawing by copying and pasting from a pdf file into the CAD drawing which has a drawing template already drawn.

The original pdf file has a large number of drawings within it and I am copying 1 drawing at a time and the pasting, using paste special and image entity, this image into the CAD drawing.
    Thus creating the drawing.

My problem is when I revisit the CAD drawing at a later date I cannot see the image but get a line of text which states the temporary pathname where the image should be found.

How do I get the drawing to show the image. DO I have to save each part of the pdf file in its own directory and how or do I need to add or change a pathname in the options menu.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Regards
    neil

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Image File Path

Quote Originally Posted by neilcheshire

My problem is when I revisit the CAD drawing at a later date I cannot see the image but get a line of text which states the temporary pathname where the image should be found.

How do I get the drawing to show the image. DO I have to save each part of the pdf file in its own directory and how or do I need to add or change a pathname in the options menu.
    When you do that, AutoCAD creates a temporary file in the %temp% directory. When you open the drawing later, that temporary image is most likely gone.

Here is what you need to do. After copying to the clipboard, paste into an image application like Irfanview [ http://www.irfanview.com ] - then save the image to a permanent location (the same directory as the DWG is ideal). Then use the IMAGE command in AutoCAD to place the image.

For some other ideas regarding PDF->DWG, see [ http://rkmcswain.blogspot.com/2005/04/pdf-dwg.html ]

Oops - just noticed that this was LT. Does LT include the IMAGE command? I guess if it let you paste special as an image, it must... But I'm not sure....
    If you do not have access to the IMAGE command, you will have to go a different route. Post back in that case.
    Last edited by rkmcswain; 2006-01-28 at 03:29 AM.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain
    Oops - just noticed that this was LT. Does LT include the IMAGE command? I guess if it let you paste special as an image, it must... But I'm not sure....
    If you do not have access to the IMAGE command, you will have to go a different route. Post back in that case.
    Hi

Just for you information - AutoCAD LT does not have the _.Image command, the following thread is just one example within the ACAD LT General forum that offers such information...

Insert raster image

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Perry
    Hi
    Just for you information - AutoCAD LT does not have the _.Image command
    That's kind of what I thought. But since the PASTESPEC command allows you to paste as an IMAGE entity, LT obviously supports IMAGE entities, just no way to edit the path, etc.

I don't have LT to test with, but IF it will allow drag/drop from Windows Explorer and attach the image as an IMAGE entity instead of an OLE object, then the path to the image can be controlled that way (it will be set to the location from which the image was dragged)
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Hi

Been a while since I read this message but still not sure what to do. I was using a copy of AutoCAD 2006 to past spec , somebody elses PC, I normally would use 2006 LT.
    As I am cutting and pasting from a PDF file paste special seems to work the best, I think.

With this in mind I am using another PC to cut and paste into a full blown AutoCAD and would like to know how to retain the image and not be presented wilth the box with the text inside it.

As for my own copy of LT I would like to be able to do the same but cannot see a way of imprting part of a PDF file into LT. I know this should be in the LT forum but thought I would ask here.

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Image File Path

Quote Originally Posted by neilcheshire
    Been a while since I read this message but still not sure what to do. I was using a copy of AutoCAD 2006 to past spec , somebody elses PC, I normally would use 2006 LT.
    As I am cutting and pasting from a PDF file paste special seems to work the best, I think.

With this in mind I am using another PC to cut and paste into a full blown AutoCAD and would like to know how to retain the image and not be presented wilth the box with the text inside it.

As for my own copy of LT I would like to be able to do the same but cannot see a way of imprting part of a PDF file into LT. I know this should be in the LT forum but thought I would ask here.
    Hi

Does the following help...

RE:Insert a PDF into Modelspace

Have a good one, Mike