Thread: NEWBIE seeking advice/guidence/direction. etc

Login to Give a bone

Hey guys. I was in Atlanta today for the Go Further tour. It was really cool. I have been taking some drafting classes. I am currently looking for a job. No degree in archi or drafting but do have BS in graphic design. Would I be better off learning to draw and do work in revit instead of adt? How does 2d modeling compare to adt? Are some of the commands and processes the same? Anything else for info would be apprciated.

For you vets what can I do to market myself for employment since I dont have the architecture degree etc. Where do I start. I can draw with acad but thats about it.

Thanks
    LOST Dusty

All AUGI, all the time mlgatzke's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: NEWBIE seeking advice/guidence/direction. etc

Dusty,

First, I don't see you not having a degree to be a problem (this from a teacher). I'd recommend you get on a framing crew and help frame for a summer. Construction experience is priceless. If that's not possible, you'll have to do anything and everything possible to gain construction knowledge.

Would I recommend learning Revit - YES. However, realistically, you may want to learn the program most often used in your area (probably AutoCAD). Remember, Revit might be better, but if nobody in your area is using it, you'd be more marketable if you knew the software those in your area are using. Then, slowly, you can move them into Revit (as they wisen up).

In the end, Revit is the best. However, your area might not be ready for such an advanced application.

All AUGI, all the time jbalding48677's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I choose to disagree with MG. Get a degree!!! If you want to "Go Further" a degree is the best first step. With a BS already it wouldn't take too long. The experience can be invaluable. If you want to be an architect a degree is marketability. There is always time to start your employment, but the time to get your education is best when you are young.

By the way, how did you hear about Zoog Discussion? Did they mention it at the Go Further Tour?

MTC -
    - JB

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dustyk
    but do have BS in graphic design.
    Dusty,
    I've been doing this for twenty years and there's BS in architecture too
    You can very quickly pick up the 'how to draw'. What is more important, and will make you far more valuable as an employee, is knowing what you are drawing. I agree that construction knowledge is critical if you want to pursue the technical side of things.
    As modelling becomes more prevalent in the industry offices can be more efficient with fewer employees so the trick is to make yourself as valuable as possible by being able to perform a variety of tasks. Graphics work, detailing, contract administration...
    You can't know it all overnight but being eager to learn is a good starting point.
    Good luck

Login to Give a bone

If you want to pursue a career in architecture/design you should pursue a degree and registration in architecture. With a degree/registration your only career limit is your own personal ambition., without one you will always be working for the guy that stamps the drawings. If you already have a BS, you might be eligible for some 2 year masters programs in architecture.

In terms of Revit or ADT - autodesk is telling users that don't have a large investment in customization of ADT to move to Revit ASAP. The last guy we hired contacted us through the autodesk reseller. He had used Revit at his previous job and wanted to continue to work with it. He was able to get information from the reseller on what offices in the area had Revit licenses. Be presistent - he kept calling on us until the time was right for us to add staff.

Login to Give a bone

If you're serous about wanting to pursue Architecture, then going for a degree while you frame houses over the summer would be your best bet. Without a degree, or without real experance, you'll have to work twice as hard to get to the same place as others with those two things.

I dropped out of school, never finished my degree, and now I'm in the process of getting my A.R.E. in California where they don't care about such things, as long as you've got the work experance and can pass the tests.

But I've had to work twice as hard as someone who did get a degree, and get paid less to boot- heck I even slept under my desk more than once at my first real job because of the shear workload I was undertaking to prove myself viable, and to do great work so I could get ahead, and I still was earning significaly less than someone else who couldn't do half the work I could, had way less ability, but had a degree from a big named east coast school. He was useless, I was useful; I got paid ****, he got paid more; he eventually got fired, and I moved up.

So serously- go for a Masters at the best school you can. Doors will open to you much easyer, and you won't have to fight as hard to get anywhere you want to go. Also get some real hands-on experance so when you get there you'll be able to really add value and make things work.

If I hadn't had solid contruction experance and been able to learn computer skills very quickly I would have had to have moved back to Arizona and given up on Architecture altogether. But because I worked very hard I've at least made it to the point where I'm taking my A.R.E. and laying groundwork to maybe start my own firm or join a firm at a higher level if I'm really lucky.

best of luck. Don't focus on the tools too much, for in ten year's time we'll all be using something else, whether it be Revit r17 or something else. If you really want to be an Architect, and not a draftperson, then you'll want to focus on the things that really add value. And that's good exerance, good skills, and a good education.

Besides, with the way things are going in the CAD world, there is the real possiblity that due to the tools available (Revit) and other forces (offshoring & design-build firms taking on more design than build) you might not get too far as a simple draftperson anyways...

Login to Give a bone

Thanks guys. NOw I dont know what to do. I like the professors response but then I read all the others. To be honest I dont know which direction to go. I would really like to be on the design end. Come up with floor plans, elevations etc a 3d model. Get it passed then send to other guys to do the details etc. Thats what I really like but I also understand it probably doesnt work that way. As far as applications go Ill continue to work with acad and when I can, go to revit as well. Guess I didnt think it would be this hard to get started. Just being nieve I guess I really appreciate the feedback. If anyone else or any of you would like to add something please feel free.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

got a friend with a large firm that does all the graphic art presentations for the firm. He has a graphic arts degree. The design architect brings him a design, and he works it to presentation. Could involve modeling, photoshop boards, etc. .A lot of large firms make constant presentations to corporations that use Photoshop techniques, Multimedia, Powerpoint, and hard copy prints. If think you do want to work in the architecture field start there as you apparently had an interest when you got your degree. You'll get a feel for just how much work it takes to get a "simple" little drawing out the door to the client for a presentation. And perhaps shed some light on the field of architecture.

Take a current inventory of your skills, take it to a larger firm, pitch them (tell them how you will make them money by being the fastest and best etc). And jump in.