Thread: Drawing File Not Valid

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Red face Drawing File Not Valid

Hi,
    I don't know if this is the correct forum for this question but anyway: I saved my drawings last night leaving the office. Coming back this morning I try to open them and gets 'Drawing File Not Valid'. i can't open any of the drawings i saved yesterday.
    Now some background. All our drawings are saved to a external hard drive on my bosses computer. I have this drive mapped as a network drive to my computer. We've had this setup for at least a year and it has been working fine. But we just moved office to a new location but we are still on the same LAN. Funny thing is that all folders on the mapped network drive are read only since we moved. Still when saving the drawings yesterday new files where created in my working folder and they are still there this morning but I get 'Drawing File Not Valid' when I try to open them. I've tried recover, It doesn't work. I've tried inserting the 'not valid' files as blocks into new drawings, but it doesn't work. Neither does partial open. Trying to insert the files as blocks I get 'was created by an incompatible version of AutoCAD'. But I use a fully licensed AutoCAD2006.
    Sorry for any bad English. Any ideas?

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Drawing File Not Valid

Hi

Is it possible to post one example drawing file, so we may take a look at the issue / problem first-hand...

Have a good one, Mike

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: Drawing File Not Valid

my best guess, is that possibly one has an Update, "SP" that the other one doesn't causing the incompatibility error.

The only other feasible answer I can come up with, is that the file was corrupted.

hope that helped!

~Kevin Meyer~

I could stop if I wanted to Steve Johnson's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Drawing File Not Valid

I've never heard of SP incompatibility causing this kind of issue. I suspect those files are completely hosed due to a problem over the network, and the OP will have lost everything done since the last safe backup. We'll be able to see better when we get one to play with. Now is the time to look around for autosave and .bak files on the local PC, to see if there is anything that can be salvaged there.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Drawing File Not Valid

Thanks for your replies,
    It turns out that the drive that the drawings where on is dead. We have a back up from which I managed to salvage most of the work but still many working hours are lost.

Thanks