Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ADT and Radiance program

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default ADT and Radiance program

I have a consultant that will be using a program called Radiance to generate lighting calculations, rednerings etc. I understand the the program will accept 3D faces from AutoCAD, will it accept AEC elements from ADT? Anyone ever work with this before??

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: ADT and Radiance program

Quote Originally Posted by jasontirone
    I have a consultant that will be using a program called Radiance to generate lighting calculations, rednerings etc. I understand the the program will accept 3D faces from AutoCAD, will it accept AEC elements from ADT? Anyone ever work with this before??
    I've done some work with Radiance. I don't know what conversion tool your consultant is using to get into Radiance format, there are several available.

the most basic one simply runs as a LISP in AutoCAD and takes 3D faces and solids and turns them into Radiance format. However, this hasn't been updated, and doesn't work with AutoCAD beyond 2002, 2004 & beyond is out.

another basic one reads a DXF and turns that into an Radiance file. there's also one for 3DS, and for OBJ, and more.

What I'd do if I were you is run the tool that converts your AEC objects into solids, and then save out the file as a DWG in 2000 format and/or DXF prior to giving it to your consultant. Or I'd call him and ask what format he needs things in, and what tool he's using (there's several flavors of Radiance) .

Hope this helps...

Login to Give a bone

If he's using Viz, I'm not sure there's a need for it. You can link the file to Viz. You can also run Accurender over the top. I think you can even export it to sketch-up. I haven't done much work with there kind of things, but Jeff is correct, ask the consultant what he needs; then it will be easier to figure out where you need to take your model.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson
    If he's using Viz, I'm not sure there's a need for it. You can link the file to Viz. You can also run Accurender over the top. I think you can even export it to sketch-up. I haven't done much work with there kind of things, but Jeff is correct, ask the consultant what he needs; then it will be easier to figure out where you need to take your model.
    I doubt he's using Viz if he's using Radiance, unless he's doing some modeling in Viz and then exporting to Radiance. Most Radiance folks I've talked with use AutoCAD for modeling and export to Radiance, or use some lighting-modeling package, like Rayfront or Ecotect, that talks native with Radiance. There's only two guys I know of who use Revit to model and then Radiance to render, and I'm one of them.

Radiance is way, way better for analysis than Viz when it comes to proper lighting stuffs, and is more or less an industry standard for lighting analysis, but is by far the minority when it comes to rendering engines in general. This isn't your general rendering or modeling for a nice image, this is lighting analysis, which is a whole other thing.

There is a plug-in available for Max that allows you to use Radiance as just another rendering engine. It's way cool. And way expensive. Don't know if it works with Viz or not, but it doesn't say anything about it being able to. Just Max.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey McGrew
    I doubt he's using Viz if he's using Radiance, unless he's doing some modeling in Viz and then exporting to Radiance.
    My bad, I saw Radiance and was thinking radiocity which is in most rendering packages. Didn't realize the product was Radiance.
    But can't you export a viz model to max? Hence being able to take ADT to Viz to Max to be able to use Radiance?
    Just a thought

Login to Give a bone

My bad, I saw Radiance and was thinking radiocity which is in most rendering packages. Didn't realize the product was Radiance.
    But can't you export a viz model to max? Hence being able to take ADT to Viz to Max to be able to use Radiance?
    Just a thought
    +1 That's what I was thinking. If you have the full version of VIZ (not VIZ render), then you could link your ADT model to VIZ, bind it permanantely & save it as a .max or 3ds format for import into radiance
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Bennett
    +1 That's what I was thinking. If you have the full version of VIZ (not VIZ render), then you could link your ADT model to VIZ, bind it permanently & save it as a .max or 3ds format for import into radiance
    The .max file would be useful if they were using Max, otherwise it doesn't help them, for you can't convert Max files to Radiance files without Max or Polytrans, and even then the results you'll get will be, well, a little poor for you'd probably want the chance to redefine stuffs prior to pulling it into Radiance.

If you had both Viz and Max, you'd probably just skip Viz and pull the model straight into Max if you were using Radiance along with Max. Unless there's something Viz 2006 does with ADT models that Max 8 doesn't that I don't know about (which is likely, I'm a Revit guy).

3DS could work, there is a converter for 3DS to Radiance, but 3DS is old and broken, and has an upper limit on the number of objects it can contain. I hit that limit with Revit all the time, and thus only get part of my Building in the 3DS file if I link a Revit project into Max and then save it out as a 3DS. And again, the lighting guy is gonna want to edit the model prior to bringing it into Radiance I'm guessing.

So it really does depend on what tool the lighting guy is using.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

This has been great input folks. Thank you all very much for the insight. One question I have now; In ADT 2005, what is the tool for converting AEC objects to 3D Faces if there is one?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jasontirone
    This has been great input folks. Thank you all very much for the insight. One question I have now; In ADT 2005, what is the tool for converting AEC objects to 3D Faces if there is one?
    I'm not sure about faces, but in the tool catalong (content browser) there are tools to convert aec objects to solids (_aecconvertto3dsolids) I couldn't find one that converts to faces.

Login to Give a bone

I'm not sure about faces, but in the tool catalong (content browser) there are tools to convert aec objects to solids (_aecconvertto3dsolids) I couldn't find one that converts to faces.
    Once you've got solids, I think you can explode the solids to faces IIRC just by using the explode tool on them. So AEC -> Solids -> Faces could work for them...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast