Thread: TrueView on Windows Server / Thin Client?

Login to Give a bone

Default TrueView on Windows Server / Thin Client?

Anyone managed to get Trueview to work properly on a Windows 200x Server with users using a thin client to access it?

If so, how'd you do it?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: TrueView on Windows Server / Thin Client?

Figured it out.

Disclaimer/Warning:
    -These instructions are for use at your own risk.
    -I accept no responsibility for anything that happens to your systems, servers, work, etc.
    -If you’re not comfortable tweaking the registry, then don’t do it.

Now that that’s out of the way…

Here are instructions to installing DWG TrueView 2 on Windows 2000 Server.

SYSTEM Configuration

1. Login with an account that has full administrative rights.

2. Install TrueView as normal.
    -For simplicity’s sake I’m using C: as the server root drive for these instructions, and N: as the network shared drive.

3. (Optional step)
    -Right click the DWG TrueView 2 program icon.
    -Select “Enable/Disable Digital Signature Icons”
    -Uncheck “Validate Digital Signatures and Display Special Icons”
    -Select OK
    -Reboot the server. (Yes, REBOOT it. Logging off and on doesn’t seem to make it take effect).

4. Log back in on the adminstrative account

5. Start TrueView, open a .DWG file, and then close the program.

Note: where ever you see %username% from here down substitute the current user’s login id. i.e. JohnD, or Admin1

6. Copy the contents of the contents of C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Autodesk\DWG TrueView 2 to N:\Support\_TrueView2\Application Data\Autodesk\DWG TrueView 2

7. Copy the contents of C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\DWG TrueView 2 to N:\Support\_TrueView2\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\DWG TrueView 2

8. Restart TrueView. Open the existing profile and redirect any paths that tell it to look in C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\ … to corresponding folder on the network share. Apply and save the changes. Exit TrueView

9. Using a registry editor find HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\DWG TrueView\R2. Export the key to N:\Support\_TrueView2\Registry_Fix\TrueView_ChangeName.reg

10. While still in registry editor, navigate to HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\TerminalServer\Install\Software\Autodesk\DWG TrueView\R2. If this key exists, delete it.

USER Configuration

Now’s where it gets a bit funky and becomes a bit of a pain… You’ll have to repeat the following steps for EACH user that needs access to the viewer.

1. Login as the user you want to configure the station for.

Note: Step’s 2 & 3 seem kind of dumb since you’ve got the files on a shared drive, but I kept getting errors until I did them.

2. Copy the contents of the contents of N:\Support\_TrueView2\Application Data\Autodesk\DWG TrueView 2 TO C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Autodesk\DWG TrueView 2

3. Copy the contents of N:\Support\_TrueView2\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\DWG TrueView 2 TO C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\DWG TrueView 2

4. Create a copy of N:\Support\_TrueView2\Registry_Fix\TrueView_ChangeName.reg named TrueView_%username%.reg. (i.e. TrueView_JohnD.reg).

5. Open the new TrueView_%username%.reg file and perform a find and replace, substituting the user’s login id (i.e. JohnD) for the administrator’s login id (i.e. Admin1). Save the changes you made.

6. Double click the modified TrueView_%username%.reg file and click Yes when asked if you want to add the information to the registry.

7. Try to open TrueView.

It should be functional now without any error messages.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: TrueView on Windows Server / Thin Client?

Ermm. Guess I should state those instructions got it to work on a Windows 2000 Server environment. No idea what needs to be tweaked for other OS's.

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: TrueView on Windows Server / Thin Client?

Dan, thanks for posting back your process on this... I'm sure it will help out people that haven't tried this yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by dan.singleton
    Figured it out.

Disclaimer/Warning:
    -These instructions are for use at your own risk.
    -I accept no responsibility for anything that happens to your systems, servers, work, etc.
    -If you’re not comfortable tweaking the registry, then don’t do it.

Now that that’s out of the way…

Here are instructions to installing DWG TrueView 2 on Windows 2000 Server.

SYSTEM Configuration

1. Login with an account that has full administrative rights.

2. Install TrueView as normal.
    -For simplicity’s sake I’m using C: as the server root drive for these instructions, and N: as the network shared drive.

3. (Optional step)
    -Right click the DWG TrueView 2 program icon.
    -Select “Enable/Disable Digital Signature Icons”
    -Uncheck “Validate Digital Signatures and Display Special Icons”
    -Select OK
    -Reboot the server. (Yes, REBOOT it. Logging off and on doesn’t seem to make it take effect).

4. Log back in on the adminstrative account

5. Start TrueView, open a .DWG file, and then close the program.

Note: where ever you see %username% from here down substitute the current user’s login id. i.e. JohnD, or Admin1

6. Copy the contents of the contents of C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Autodesk\DWG TrueView 2 to N:\Support\_TrueView2\Application Data\Autodesk\DWG TrueView 2

7. Copy the contents of C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\DWG TrueView 2 to N:\Support\_TrueView2\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\DWG TrueView 2

8. Restart TrueView. Open the existing profile and redirect any paths that tell it to look in C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\ … to corresponding folder on the network share. Apply and save the changes. Exit TrueView

9. Using a registry editor find HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\DWG TrueView\R2. Export the key to N:\Support\_TrueView2\Registry_Fix\TrueView_ChangeName.reg

10. While still in registry editor, navigate to HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\TerminalServer\Install\Software\Autodesk\DWG TrueView\R2. If this key exists, delete it.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost