Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Land Desktop 2006 Locking Up

Login to Give a bone

Default Land Desktop 2006 Locking Up

All:

We rolled out Land Desktop 2006 to all our users last February. Recently, we have had a problem with Land Desktop 2006 locking up after a user exits an AutoCAD Map 2006 or Land Desktop 2006 session and tries to start a new session. Our users switch between both programs often during the day. When the lockup happens, you can shut down the applications using Task Manager, but most times, several instances of Acad.exe still show as running. We can force them to exit, but in order to use Land Desktop or Map again, the PC must be restarted.

We thought we were on to something when we saw this concerning certificate revocation:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...linkID=2475323

We tried it on a PC and it seemed to help for a day or so, but it's locking up again.

Our installations are done from an image in a deployment folder on the server. The SDSK.DFM file and the ARG files are modified to look to a folder on a server for company standard templates and other support files.

Has anyone else had this problem or may know what the issue is?

Thanks,
    Greg

I could stop if I wanted to Ammon's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Land Desktop 2006 Locking Up

Quote Originally Posted by gregory.lumpkin
    All:

We rolled out Land Desktop 2006 to all our users last February. Recently, we have had a problem with Land Desktop 2006 locking up after a user exits an AutoCAD Map 2006 or Land Desktop 2006 session and tries to start a new session. Our users switch between both programs often during the day. When the lockup happens, you can shut down the applications using Task Manager, but most times, several instances of Acad.exe still show as running. We can force them to exit, but in order to use Land Desktop or Map again, the PC must be restarted.

We thought we were on to something when we saw this concerning certificate revocation:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...linkID=2475323

We tried it on a PC and it seemed to help for a day or so, but it's locking up again.

Our installations are done from an image in a deployment folder on the server. The SDSK.DFM file and the ARG files are modified to look to a folder on a server for company standard templates and other support files.

Has anyone else had this problem or may know what the issue is?

Thanks,
    Greg
    I've had the same problem. What has worked for me is to make sure that when I close down either Map or Land Desktop I look in the Task Manager and make sure that the acad.exe process had ended before I start up the other session.

HTH

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any service packs and/or patches installed? We were just discussing this issue and we think we never had these lock-up problems until installing service pack 1.

I could stop if I wanted to Ammon's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by gregory.lumpkin
    Thanks for the reply. Do you have any service packs and/or patches installed? We were just discussing this issue and we think we never had these lock-up problems until installing service pack 1.
    No actually. I don't have any of the service packs installed currently.

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: Land Desktop 2006 Locking Up

I installed Service Pack 1 on one end user's PC and she has gone a whole day with no lockups (knock on wood).

Be careful though, as I've found that there are two different Service Pack 1 files. Depending on which version of LDT 2006 you have (Land Desktop 2006 or Civil 3D 2006 Land Desktop Companion), you should use the appropriate service pack file.

I submitted a service request via e-mail to Autodesk through the Subscription web site. This is what I've found.

Some PCs keep all their settings after Service Pack 1 is installed and some PCs lose everything and Land Desktop 2006 is set back to square one with no customizations. The technician I'm working with said every PC he has worked on had no adverse settings changes, but a technician sitting next to him said he has seen the ill behavior. I know I have as well.

There are several files you need to copy out in order to save your customizations. The files you want to back up are located in: C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Application Data\Autodesk\Autodesk Land Desktop 2006\R16.2\enu\Support. These are the files you want to copy to a new location, then replace once you install the Service Pack; any *.CUI, *.MNL, and *.DLL files located in this directory. Copy them to a new location, run the Service Pack, then copy these files back to this location overwriting whatever files are there.

This is above and beyond copying out the SDSK.DFM file and exporting the Land Desktop and MapLandDevelopmentDesktop profiles which hold paths to support files, project locations, etc.

I have end users who are asking for Service Pack 1 (and rightly so), but we are a two person IT staff supporting about 65 end users. I'd like to automate this as much as possible, but I don't want to take the chance of deploying Service Pack 1 throughout the enterprise and come Monday morning, have 65 angry people on my hands.

I'm still working on it...

Greg

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Greg,
    Have you looked at using the utility Robocopy? It is built in to the Windows utilities (for IT folks only or someone with a good understanding of scripting). You can pull the files you want to a "Safe" folder, perform the SP Install and then replace the files from the "Safe" folder through a Script. If you have a folder set up on your server for each of your users, this would be the Ideal place to copy these files to and replace them from. You can even keep them there in case a user "accidentally" messes up an install. Nice thing about Robocopy, it will run every night if you like and update any files that are different from the "Standard" installation if you like. It has a built in Compare feature that will look at a file and see if it has changed from the default settings and if you choose, overwrite it with the default.
    Mark Hultgren
    Just a Lurker
    http://www.MKW-Ind.com
    Blog
    Socializing??

Login to Give a bone

I've seen RoboCopy in use before but not to the extent you are describing. It does sound like it will help me though and I appreciate your suggestion very much. I'll look into it ASAP.

The profiles can't be just "copied out" though, can they?

Greg

Login to Give a bone

The CUI and ARG files will contain all the info that is in the profiles. The ARG files are actually Autodesk ReGistry files If you rename them to reg you can doubleclick to enter the data directly into the registry.
    The CUI contains all of User customization for each file (ACAD, LDT, Civil etc) these used to be Menupallettes in '04 and before.
    The ARG files are the actual registry entries for each of the profiles. If you are running LDT you should see at least two. LDDT.ARG and MAP.ARG These each correspond to the LDT and Map profiles that are shown in the Profiles Tab in the user's Options dialog.
    Last edited by MHultgren; 2006-02-13 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Further clarification
    Mark Hultgren
    Just a Lurker
    Blog
    Socializing??

Login to Give a bone

Well, if I'd known that, I'd have had a LOT less work in my past. The question of importing/exporting has always come up but I've never heard anyone tell of an easier way.

I guess what I can do is rename Land Desktop.arg to Land Desktop.reg, use RoboCopy to automate the file backups and then just double-click Land Desktop.reg to get the paths and settings back to where they were before Service Pack 1.

Am I making this sound too simple?

Login to Give a bone

That is exactly what we did when I worked as the Cad Mgr for a company with 125 users.
    Mark Hultgren
    Just a Lurker
    Blog
    Socializing??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast