See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modelspace, Paperspace, Floating Viewport assistance / help required

Login to Give a bone

Cool Paperspace, Modelspace

I am not an Autocad guru. I am an Autocad user. I am trying to create a 3/4" = 1' scale drawing from model space scale drawing of 1/4" = 1'. I want to use various pieces of my 1/4 scale and put them together in the 3/4 space. I have managed to create some of the drawing with help but it has been too long since I started the drawing.

I need to copy some viewports and resize them and then place them in the space that I have managed to create so that I can label them. I can not remember how to do this simple step. Today, I accidentally managed to get one done and could not do another. Eventually, I lost the one that I created. If someone could enlighten me, please, I would be grateful.

Odell P.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Modelspace, Paperspace, Floating Viewport assistance / help required

Hi Odell P

Please note I have *moved* this thread from the AutoCAD Tips & Tricks forum to this one as I feel this particular Forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Moderator

All AUGI, all the time tc3dcad60731's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Modelspace, Paperspace, Floating Viewport assistance / help required

Hi,

I am by no means a guru either and someone may have a better way of doing this. However, I normally use algebra to figure it out and have had to do this before with architectural drawings when trying to resize for use in a structural detail.

If the existing was done in 1/4"=1' then a: figure it out mathematically what it will need to be to obtain the intended 3/4" or you can scale the existing view back to full size then size it down. Whichever would work best.

I would be interested to see what the gurus say because there might be a better way of accomplishing the end goal!

Login to Give a bone

To me, but not necessarily to everyone, all the modelspace geometry should be at real world size. To achieve that, your existing geometry should be scaled up x 48. Paperspace viewports would have a scale of 1/16XP to give 3/4" : 1'.
    Keeping the existing geometry "as is" would require a pspace vport scale of 3XP.

Of course, dimensions and notes will probably give you more trouble than the geometry.

HTH

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok
    To me, but not necessarily to everyone, all the modelspace geometry should be at real world size.
    Correct. Draw everything 1:1
    I know of only a few instances where this doesn't apply.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

All AUGI, all the time tc3dcad60731's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I fully agree with drawing at 1:1. This is best for everyone now and in the future on a project that you are working on or may need to raid a view off of later.

Login to Give a bone

Whilst the majority of individuals and organisations do work at 1:1 I think we need to be open to the possibility that there may be reasons to do otherwise.
    As with so much related to acad there aren't really "rights" or "wrongs" just what is or isn't "common practice".

£0.02

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok
    Whilst the majority of individuals and organisations do work at 1:1 I think we need to be open to the possibility that there may be reasons to do otherwise.
    As with so much related to acad there aren't really "rights" or "wrongs" just what is or isn't "common practice".

£0.02
    Someone disagrees with this but not enough to leave their name.

Don't be so blinkered that you cannot see that what works for you may not work for everybody else.
    I've been drawing at full size for over 20 years and have not come across a situation where it wasn't the best way - that doesn't mean that such a situation cannot exist.

Login to Give a bone

It's related but it helps for all things scale
    it's a Proportional scale I use it to find scale factors with out the hard math it's about $5 and it works.
    http://www.staedtler-usa.com/proport...e_us.Staedtler

Login to Give a bone

Let me restate this some. It's not the scale that is my problem. It's creating the views. I forgot how to copy and resize views to create another detail. The scale is already done. I started this drawing and left it. Getting back into it is the problem. I have some details created with viewports and can't seem to remember how to do more. I'd post my drawing - so far - if I could.

There is a key step that I am missing.

Mike, thanks for your help. However there are no replies on the other space.

Thanks for all the replies so far. Odell
    Last edited by fodell; 2006-02-22 at 06:09 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast