View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a wiki (ie open faq/forum)?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

28 93.33%
  • No

2 6.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: revit wiki

Login to Give a bone

How about putting up a wiki for allowing everyone to participate in setting up answers to questions asked? A wiki is better for specific questions relating to a specific revit issue.

Maybe a good idea? Maybe worth trying out? Could Mr Zoog do this? Any other grabbers?

-mawi

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: revit wiki

I voted yes. What the heck is a WIKI though?

Standing on the shoulders of giants... in Atlanta
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by gregcashen
    I voted yes. What the heck is a WIKI though?
    It is essentially this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki

Its an excellent way for collaboration via the web. No individual or small group is forced to become an information bottleneck as content often comes in faster than anyONE can keep up with it. The upside is: anyone can contribute. The downside is: ANYONE can contribute...

jk

Login to Give a bone

Like a home-made encyclopaedia, Greg.

People enter info, but you can go back and edit their posts to make things clearer or correct wrong assumptions etc. There is a change-log so someone can check through and see what was said and how it was altered, i.e. what I answered wrong and you put right.

The net effect is a constantly updated collective help resource, if it is well used, without the need to trawl throufgh a series of asides and blind alleys.

The only downside is that our community may be a bit too small to get the best out of one.

Take a look at these FAQs and get to learn that wiki-wiki is apparently Hawaiian for quick - and you heard from me not one of the WATG boys!

Login to Give a bone

Wiki's rock. To see a fantastic example of a user-created Wiki, go to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

A Revit Wiki would be fun, and useful; however I wonder if it would get the same level of knowlege and info that this site has. It's fun to post to Zoog, it feels like you are participating in the 'Revit Community' (whatever that is), and you can make friends and connections. You don't get any of this with a wiki, it would be more like work to post to it, so I'm just wondering if it would really get the same post volume...

But there are several different Wiki's out there, and most are free (open source, like the software that drives Zoog in the first place). It wouldn't be hard for someone to set one up...

Login to Give a bone

Impressive activity here! My comments:

* Yes, ANYONE can contribute but most implementations support a registration requirement same as a forum like this one

* My point is that it can act like a living FAQ and would be a complement to this forum. Ideally, it would be a "part" of this site so that contribution could be encouraged.

Maybe there are other solutions but a wiki is simple and works - ie follows the KISS rule.

I have no clue as to who is hosting this, etc but setting up a wiki is really easy on a linux machine.

I could stop if I wanted to ita's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

This is a great sugestion. The past posts on many topics can be accumulated into specific documents that precis the contents of the associated posts - making the information compact and readily available.

Login to Give a bone

Sounds like a great source of information. Would the framework of this site support it?

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

One way a wiki might be interesting is to compile a users guide to Revit. Organized around architectural practice, the phases and such. Such a "live" document, freely editable by all with contributions from anyone might make for an interesting project. Then the Revit help menu item can "point" to the wiki instead . Better yet, the factory and the users collaborate to make it the finest piece of software technical/information document ever!

Something to kick around anyway...

Login to Give a bone

Nice to see so many positive reactions! (Too bad my question on ceiling and stair relationships doesnt get any replies

I could think of assisting in getting it up, but like I said - the best would be if it could run within the context of this site, just another part.

You get many ideas of how to structure but I think just starting out and letting members add questions and answers and then refactoring structure as it evolves is usually ideal. The KISS rule again. /mawi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast