Thread: Command Line Or No Command Line?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Question Command Line Or No Command Line?

Since 2006 and the dynamic input features, how many of you are using the command line still?

I've tried not using it but don't really feel comfortable without it.

For those of you who do not have the command line turned on any more, what do you do when you want to find a distance between two points - For example I would type di enter, click first point, click second point - and then the distance would be displayed on the command line. If the command line is not there then neither is my answer.

Just wondered.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Command Line Or No Command Line?

I have finally turned it off completely. For a while, I just had it on AutoHide, and would use it when needed, but I found I wasn't using it at all. The distance should as a tooltip near your dynamic input. Unfortunately, it only stays there until the mouse is moved. I have gotten in the habit of just hitting F2 when I need that information.

I really don't miss it

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I never noticed the distance showing up in the bottom right hand corner, and I suppose instead of the area command a double click on a boundary brings up properties which tells you the area.

They were the only two things I was still using the Command line for so I think I'll have another go with it being turned off.

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Command Line Or No Command Line?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.Sanderson(UK)
    I never noticed the distance showing up in the bottom right hand corner, and I suppose instead of the area command a double click on a boundary brings up properties which tells you the area.

They were the only two things I was still using the Command line for so I think I'll have another go with it being turned off.
    the way I got out of the habit, was following another user's suggestion to move my command line from the bottom of the drawing space to the top... not having it in the place I was used to having it broke me of my repeated looking. I do still keep it at the top for the rare moments that I need to see additional information, but, I've been using that less and less.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

It's probably a little different in ADT; I didn't actually notice that until now. I was talking about the distance coming up right where your cursor is. ~shrug~
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I was always one to have my command line on and rely on it heavily, even though I don't do any keyboard commands or shortcuts. When I was at AU this year, I noticed several presenters that had their command line off completely and relied strictly on dynamic input. After some trial and error with the dynamic input settings and what I would see or not see on the screen, I finally came up with a solution that works very well for me and I don't even miss the command line. If something goes wrong and I need to look at the last string of commands, I just hit the ol' F2 key and I'm good.

I've also discovered that the right-click menus are another big, big help in overcoming any dependancy on the command line, as well as really speeding up my design cycle time.

Login to Give a bone

Run a search in the ADT forums here to find a thread that discusses how to make the command line be able to autohide in ADT 2006 (actually this works for 2005 too). I would run with it this way if I was in production mode. But unfortunately when teaching classes to veteran users of cad, they just freak out. I have also noticed that when using temporary tracking points, I need to turn off dyn.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BrenBren
    It's probably a little different in ADT; I didn't actually notice that until now. I was talking about the distance coming up right where your cursor is. ~shrug~

Hmmm..... I don't get that on mine. Maybe as you say ADT is slightly different, either that or a setting is hidden away somewhere.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Hmmm..... I don't get that on mine. Maybe as you say ADT is slightly different, either that or a setting is hidden away somewhere.

Ahhh. Right click on the dyn button at the bottom and choose settings, there is a tick box to allow pointer input - mine was blank.