Thread: Drawing Recovery Manager opens occasionally for no reason

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Drawing Recovery Manager opens occasionally for no reason

One thing I forgot to mention was the drawing recovery manager. It wouldn't be so bad except that it sometimes comes up when I open CAD even when it hadn't previously crashed. Most of the time there are drawings in the list that I haven't even worked on in weeks (and may have even opened/plotted without error in the mean time). Finally, if AutoCAD does crash with a drawing open it can simply be re-opened. The only time actually "recovery" would be required would be if the file gets corrupted, which has never happened to me. In that case it *might* save a few seconds over manually changing the backup file extension.
    Last edited by Mike.Perry; 2006-03-01 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Cleaning up after performing *Split* action.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Drawing Recovery Manager opens occasionally for no reason

Quote Originally Posted by ultimateguruguy
    Thank you, thank you.

I worked with double-click off for awhile, but I missed the functionality for hatches, text, etc. too much, so I will have to live with it and watch what I am double-clicking on I guess.

One thing I forgot to mention was the drawing recovery manager. It wouldn't be so bad except that it sometimes comes up when I open CAD even when it hadn't previously crashed. Most of the time there are drawings in the list that I haven't even worked on in weeks (and may have even opened/plotted without error in the mean time). Finally, if AutoCAD does crash with a drawing open it can simply be re-opened. The only time actually "recovery" would be required would be if the file gets corrupted, which has never happened to me. In that case it *might* save a few seconds over manually changing the backup file extension.
    If you right click on those drawings that come up with the recover window and say close, they will go away and the recovery manager will not open. The nice thing about the recovery window is that it makes it easy to quickly look at the last save time of the actual drawing file, the autosave file and the bak file so you know which one you want to open.

If you open the drawing from there after a crash, it will remove that drawing from the window. Once all those drawings are removed, the window will not open anymore.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BrenBren
    The nice thing about the recovery window is that it makes it easy to quickly look at the last save time of the actual drawing file, the autosave file and the bak file so you know which one you want to open.
    But then if you decide to use the Autosave version, you must do a "Save As" to overwrite the DWG that you don't want. And the "Save As" starts in the Autosave directory, which is usually nowhere near your project directory. So, you must do the long manual browse to get back to your project directory.

I don't understand that part. Why does it throw you into the Autosave directory and force you to browse back to the project? This is one area that Microsoft Office has Autocad beat. Autorecover in Office is rather seamless.

Login to Give a bone

Yes, but drawings I have already removed keep showing up on the list for an unknown reason. Once removed it it generally does not bring the recovery manager up again, however if a more current drawing forces the recory manager up then oftentimes an older drawing (one that was definitely not open the previous session) is also on the list. Come to think of it, I can't rule out that I may have opened to plot or otherwised published the drawing, and then closed without saving. Perhaps autocad notices there is a bak/autosave more current than the actual dwg?

It is nice to see which save is more current, but I have "re qsave " down to an obsessive-compulsive reflex action, therefore I don't worry about current saves very much.

Login to Give a bone

This is what I am talking about:

I opened this drawing to check a section callout; once I verified it was correct I closed the drawing without saving. The next time I opened AutoCAD the DRM popped up with this. Notice how there's not even drawings pathed and that the file was last modified in January.

Last edited by ultimateguruguy; 2006-03-01 at 08:40 PM.