See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I minipulate Blocks on the tool Palette?

Login to Give a bone

Default How do I minipulate Blocks on the tool Palette?

I have recently upgraded from "2000" to "2006" and I am learning to use the tool palates. I want to create a library that we can access from the tool palate to pull in our markers, blocks, etc. I copied Imperial to our server and directed all of our computer to access from that one enu file.

I need to retrofit these existing blocks to our office standards and I am starting with the design tab. I found the drawing "Callouts (Imperial).dwg" that the tool palette is referencing. It has 23 different tags in this drawing. I have been able to update these tags to our standard sizes and fonts by doing an "edit block in-place" but how do I change the lines and layers associated with each tags block so that when I pull it off of the tool palette it shows up correctly in my drawing?

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: How do I minipulate Blocks on the tool Palette?

Quote Originally Posted by rodwhsa
    I have recently upgraded from "2000" to "2006" and I am learning to use the tool palates. I want to create a library that we can access from the tool palate to pull in our markers, blocks, etc. I copied Imperial to our server and directed all of our computer to access from that one enu file.

I need to retrofit these existing blocks to our office standards and I am starting with the design tab. I found the drawing "Callouts (Imperial).dwg" that the tool palette is referencing. It has 23 different tags in this drawing. I have been able to update these tags to our standard sizes and fonts by doing an "edit block in-place" but how do I change the lines and layers associated with each tags block so that when I pull it off of the tool palette it shows up correctly in my drawing?
    I'm going to move this from the CAD management forum, as I believe it will be better served here. Thanks.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How do I minipulate Blocks on the tool Palette?

The palettes link to a "master" drawing that contain all of the blocks. You wouldn't be able to link directly to a block that was just a drawing.

Are you referring to the lines within the block definition? Those would be changed within the block itself like any other block.

If you are referring to the layer, color, linetype, etc., you can right-click on the tool within the palette to pull up the properties. Within the tool property dialog box, you will be able to set those values to your chosen values.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

So can I go find this "Master" and change the block there to fit our standards, or can I take our standard blocks and place them in this master file, so I can access them from the tool palate?

Currently my office has a sheet that we open and copy/clip our standard tags, markers, etc. from. I know this sounds ridiculous but we do not have any CAD management, and this was set up years ago and know one has ever advanced the system. I want to make the current blocks on the ACAD tool palette look similar to our office standard blocks, so I can use my tool palette instead. Obviously I have limited knowledge on how to do this.

Login to Give a bone

You can use the Design Center to create a new palette based on blocks from an existing drawing. You will need to set each tool's properties. You can then click customize on the tool palette to export that palette. This would allow you to import it to other machines.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Opie,

Your suggestion is to create a new pallete. Is that because you _can't_ modify the tools in the default pallete, or because it is poor management practice to modify the tools in the default pallete?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Truesdell
    Opie,

Your suggestion is to create a new pallete. Is that because you _can't_ modify the tools in the default pallete, or because it is poor management practice to modify the tools in the default pallete?
    It seemed that rodwhsa was attempting to modify the blocks from the provided OOTB palette. If he already had a drawing that contained all of the blocks he needed, it may be quicker to create a new palette from the company's master block drawing.

You can modify the OOTB palettes as much as you want. I was only suggesting the new palette route due to speed of having to change the OOTB palettes.
    jUSt

Certifiable AUGI Addict robert.1.hall72202's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

How would you go about creating a tool pallete from a drawing that contains X number of blocks? All of my blocks would be in 1 file?

I

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Robert.Hall
    How would you go about creating a tool pallete from a drawing that contains X number of blocks? All of my blocks would be in 1 file?

I
    These are the steps I would take to accomplish this.
    1. Open the Design Center.
    2. Navigate to the folder that contains the drawing that contains the desired blocks.
    3. Right-click on the said drawing.
    4. On the pop-up menu, select "Create Tool Palette"

This should create your tool palette for you with the default settings. You will then need to modify each tool with the desired layer, color, linetype settings or any other settings that you desire.

BTW: I also found out that the Design Center will create a tool palette of a complete folder, therefore the blocks do not need to be within a master drawing.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: How do I minipulate Blocks on the tool Palette?

Quote Originally Posted by Opie
    BTW: I also found out that the Design Center will create a tool palette of a complete folder, therefore the blocks do not need to be within a master drawing.
    jackpot... ... i'll have to toy with this (i'll admit, I haven't used tool palettes much... ~stands up~ my name is melanie... and I'm a command line junkie ~sobs~ )
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast