See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Re-register AutoCAD 2006 after reinstall

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re-register AutoCAD 2006 after reinstall

My system crashed and I can not re-register Autocad 2006 after a reinstallation. The message indicates I have used my registration already and to contact Autodesk. This was two weeks ago and I have not received any response. Has anybody else had a similar problem? Do you have a work around? I'm tired of getting the pop up telling me I have this many days left to register or I can't use Autocad.

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Re-register AutoCAD 2006 after reinstall

Quote Originally Posted by newberry
    My system crashed and I can not re-register Autocad 2006 after a reinstallation. The message indicates I have used my registration already and to contact Autodesk. This was two weeks ago and I have not received any response. Has anybody else had a similar problem? Do you have a work around? I'm tired of getting the pop up telling me I have this many days left to register or I can't use Autocad.
    It is my understanding that you have to call up autodesk and reregister that way, your reseller might be able to walk you through that?
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Re-register AutoCAD 2006 after reinstall

If you had either written down, printed out, or copied the file that had the registration key in it, you shouldn't have to reregister after a reinstall.

Just make sure the key file is in the right place.

This may not do you any good at this point, if you blasted it away when you did your reinstall, but it's something to keep in mind for next time...

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Re-register AutoCAD 2006 after reinstall

I believe that with the newer versions (05 and 06) you can no longer retype the same registration approval number (or whatever they call them). a new number is required with each authorization of the single product.
    Quote Originally Posted by richards.64879
    If you had either written down, printed out, or copied the file that had the registration key in it, you shouldn't have to reregister after a reinstall.

Just make sure the key file is in the right place.

This may not do you any good at this point, if you blasted it away when you did your reinstall, but it's something to keep in mind for next time...
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

As mentioned above, you'll need to contact your reseller and they'll be able to help you out.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer
    I believe that with the newer versions (05 and 06) you can no longer retype the same registration approval number (or whatever they call them). a new number is required with each authorization of the single product.
    Strange. I just did a reinstall of 2006. (I upgraded a 2004 installation, and Autodesk says "you MUST uninstall the old version within 60 days", but then when I uninstalled 2004, it broke 2006! A repair on 2006 didn't work, so I had to uninstall and reinstall. Thanks, Autodesk. )

I did not reacitvate. It all works.

AFAIK, the code you get is keyed to certain hardware components on your machine. So, if you change certain hardware components (i.e., upgrade the CPU), you'll probably have to reactivate. If you get a new computer you have to reactivate. If you reinstall without changing hardware, the old key should work. At least, that was my understanding, and it seemed to be confirmed by my one reinstallation....

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by richards.64879
    AFAIK, the code you get is keyed to certain hardware components on your machine. So, if you change certain hardware components (i.e., upgrade the CPU), you'll probably have to reactivate. If you get a new computer you have to reactivate. If you reinstall without changing hardware, the old key should work. At least, that was my understanding, and it seemed to be confirmed by my one reinstallation....
    That is true, the old Key should work assuming that you printed it out or have the file backed up. In theory as long as the key still resides on your system you should be able to reinstall AutoCAD as many times as you need as long as your hardware has not changed. But, if your "key information" is not available you'll officially need to contact either Autodesk or your reseller if you don't wish to use one of your installations or if you can't install it any more times.