See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: C++ Runtime Error

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy C++ Runtime Error

Hey ya'all. I've been getting this funky error of late and was hoping somebody could give me a hand solving it. (see attached file) I'm running AutoCAD 2006 at work, which is where this is happening.

What happens is I'll select some items and hit "ctr+c" to copy them out and this error message pops up saying that Cad had caused a Runtime Error in "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library". When you hit the OK button (only one available) it shuts down CAD

This doesn't happen all the time and not even consistently with any particular drawing. In fact I could have just copied out items from the same drawing 5 minutes before and it'll come up with this Runtime Error. Unfortunately once this error occurs, you can no longer use "ctrl+c" without this error popping up and crashing CAD. The only way to "fix" the problem is to completely restart your computer and wait for the blasted error to happen again.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you so much in advance...

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: C++ Runtime Error

Attachment?
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

Opps.... Sorry about that it doesn't seem to be uploading for me. So I'll just copy the text down below verbatim:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    Runtime Error!
    Program: C:Program FilesAutoCAD 2006acad.exe
    This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
    Please contact the application's support team for more information.
    OK

Login to Give a bone

If it didn't upload, only certain file extensions are allowed. Zip will always work. There is a size limit though...

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

I havn't heard of that one so I checked out the adek ng's. Several reported the problem, on this thread had any useful tips. If they don't help, you should contact your vendor so they can contact adesk support. If you've turned off error reporting in Windows, turn it back on and send the report to adesk.

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

Hi

Plus you could try plugging in the following search criteria into the forum search facility...

Key Word(s): Runtime + Error

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: C++ Runtime Error

Thank you both, Ed and Mike, for your suggestions.

Ed, I followed the link you you provided. It has some good information, but it looks like the bottom line in that thread was that a) the file was corrupt in some way, or b) there are not enough resources on the computer to perform the command. Now, I doubt the files are corrupt because sometimes copy/paste crashes CAD sometimes it doesn't. No one file crashes the program, and it may crash CAD one day but not the next. And as for resources, I'm running Windows XP on an Intel Xeon CPU at 2.8GHz with 1GB of RAM. Generally speaking I've only got Outlook and AutoCAD running, so that's shouldn't be a drain on the system I shouldn't think. If anybody has any ideas on that point please let me know... Also zipped the bitmap of the error (it was a scosh over the size limit) and have attached in case it might help.

Mike, I did search AUGI (thanks for a very good reminder though) for similar issues before posting this thread but didn't really find anything that was applicable. This thread is the closest, but the poor dear never got a reply. And this one has some good info but they're talking about Inventor. Now, RobertB suggested a "comprehensive RAM test" on the system but I've no clue how to perform one on my computer. Again, if anybody knows how to do one, please let me know and I'll try it.

Again, thank you both for your suggestions. Hopefully someone out there has seen this before and is just being shy (hopeful glance about).

PS Ed, how do you make sure Error Reporting is turned on? I didn't turn it off, but did notice that when CAD crashed an error was not sent to AutoDesk.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Wolfgirl; 2006-03-13 at 11:46 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Hi
    Quote Originally Posted by howlinwolfak
    Now, RobertB suggested a "comprehensive RAM test" on the system but I've no clue how to perform one on my computer. Again, if anybody knows how to do one, please let me know and I'll try it.
    Try this ( Windows Memory Diagnostic ).

Quote Originally Posted by howlinwolfak
    PS Ed, how do you make sure Error Reporting is turned on? I didn't turn it off, but did notice that when CAD crashed an error was not sent to AutoDesk.
    Take a look at system variable ReportError

Have a good one, Mike

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Wolfgirl,
    I have the same problem and my system is about the same, with usually AutoCAD and Outlook opened:
    XP Pro, AutoCAD 2006, 3GHz Pentium, 1GB RAM - what else would you ask for to run a system! The annoying thing is that you lose any unsaved work.

Login to Give a bone

I am getting the exact same issue only switch 'acstart17.exe' for 'acad.exe'. I can not even get close to opening any of the Autodesk products (ie) Inventor 10 & 11 Pro and Series, MDT or ACAD 2006 or 2007

I can't even try to uninstall and re-install through Add/Remove programs as the error appears as soon as the uninstaller starts. Anyone have any ideas how to manage that one?