Thread: An Interior Design student who needs help!

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default An Interior Design student who needs help!

Hi All,

I am an Interior Design student who needs help!

I have an assignment that is due today and I am having trouble locating a CAD user to interview. If someone out there could take a second of your valuable time to review and answer a few short questions for me it would me greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

R. Shawn Hoover
    Lehigh Acres Fl.
    239-369-9710

CAD Assignment 3: Interviewing CAD Users

Locate someone who is currently using CAD in his or her practice in your area and interview or "shadow" that person for part of a workday.

Find out the following details from the person through observation and interview questions:

• Name, location, and profession of the person,

• When do they use CAD in the production process (i.e. preliminary design, design development, etc.),

• The types of standardization they use, and

• Advantages or disadvantages that CAD brings to their practice.

Note: In case you are unable to contact anyone locally, you can search the Web and contact an AutoCAD user through one of the interior design trade industry groups such as ASID, AIA, or through the AutoCAD user groups (AUGI).

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: An Interior Design student who needs help!

Hi

Please note I have *moved* this thread from the Local User Groups forum to this one, as I feel this particular forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Moderator

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: An Interior Design student who needs help!

Hi, Shawn

I'll try to be brief with my answers.
    Name: Tom Sigler
    Profession: Architectural designer/CAD manager

When used:
    I use Architectural Desktop (ADT) for all phase of my work except very early design work. The only reason I don't use it then is that I've spent too many years thinking with a pencil (I've been doing this for 45 years). I find it faster for me to get my ideas on paper using a pencil. Once I've got a handle on what I'm doing I immediately switch to CAD to get it accurately developed.

Standardization:
    We standardize all line weights (we use 8 different weights + several screened solids for hatching), text heights, sheet sizes, typical details (kept in a library as blocks), and anything else that we find more than a single use for.

Advantages:
    Consistency, accuracy, easier to manipulate, change, do sheet layouts, and electronic communication, drawings done be several individuals can all look identical.

Disadvantages:
    Initial learning curve, lack of transportability between various types of CADs (though this is getting better)

I hope this helps. This is right off the top of my head,much of this probably needs amplification but it sounds like you don't have a lot of time for that and this isn't really the place to explain it.

Good Luck!

Tom