Thread: Beginner needs help with Patient's Wardrobe

Login to Give a bone

Cool Beginner needs help with Patient's Wardrobe

I have just started using revit and I am trying to build a detailed wardrobe unit for a patients room in a hospital. My frustration is I not sure how I should begin drawing it. Do I draw a rectangle and cut out the places that aren't howl (meaning there are shelf's and toe kick, etc). Or do I treat each change of width as a level. Not sure if what I am saying makes any sense but if there is somebody out there that can help I would appreciate it! thanks!

Missy

I could stop if I wanted to Merlin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Beginner needs help with Patient's Wardrobe

Hi Missy
    Is it only the Wardrobe you are trying to draw, or is it part of a larger project?

I ask this because most of us would create a parametric family for something like that. It can then be inserted and altered to suit present and future projects.

But having said that, I noticed your description of what you had tried and it sounded like you were using Massing tools. This shows that there are several ways to achieve a rather detailed Wardrobe. Yes, you could use a Mass then apply walls to the Mass (the walls being made of your Wardrobe materials. However there could be issues if this is also being part of a greater building model (in that you now are showing walls...think of what this could do with other Plans that it would show up on....) If you are in a tearing hurry and not confident what to do with families (even though they are REALLY quite easy) remember REVIT allows you to draft up details in 2D to attach to drawing sheets.

John Mc
    Last edited by Merlin; 2006-03-16 at 10:49 PM.

Login to Give a bone

thanks for the response. I am not going to be dropping it in to any drawing. Families are easy? I looked at the families and didn't see anything remotely close to what I am drawing up. I tried to go on Revit city but it is not excepting my user name. what is a girl to do?

I could stop if I wanted to Lashers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

do you have a sketch of what you are trying to do that you could post? Therefore it is easire for the "experts" to offer advice.
    You should use , probably, a floor based family to make the wardrobe - there are better experts in here than I.

If you do one of the Family tutorials it will put you on the right road.

Login to Give a bone

Attached is the wardrobe unit that I am trying to draw.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Missy, may I ask what you're trying to do with this? Just because you can model something, doesn't mean you should. I'm trying to understand why you want to model shelfs for instance. You're never going to see them. You could build a family entirely made of symbolic lines so it just shows up in a plan view and an elevation view. If you're doing a rendering, then you want to model a few things, but shelfs probably are unnecessary.

I could stop if I wanted to gordolake's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Hi Missy,

As a beginner I found it an advantage to download cabinets from this site http://www.woodworkinstitute.com/pub...s/casework.asp and see whats involved in constructing your own units or use combinations of these generic types.

Regards

Steve