See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 51 of 56 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: Revit Running on Intel Mac

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Running on Intel Mac

Just started using revit 2011 on vmware fusion 2.0 in windows 64xp. Revit works well if I turn off the 3d acceleration. But to get the new realistic view this needs to be turned on. I have an ATI graphics board. I know that fusion has huge issues with this card. Would it make sense to upgrade to 3.0 or should I skip the whole thing and go to parallels?

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Revit Running on Intel Mac

We are purchasing our first iMacs-i7 (historically have been 100% PC). Plan on getting them with 8gb, Windows 7 64bit, parallels. Will be using Revit MEP 2010 and 2011. IT folks are freaking out about adding OSx to their network. Does anyone have comments or suggestions for setting up the iMac w/Revit/Windows7, or suggestions on the network side?

I could stop if I wanted to sultarc's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I've got both windows machines and macs running on the same network. No problems. I recently replaced my windows based server with a Mac Mini running Mac osx server. A refurb cost me $850.00 including an unlimited user license. I has two 500 gig hard drives.

It will run both PC's and Macs. The PC based server I replaced cost me around $5K with the extra added cost of a 10 user copy of MS server.

Question: Am I supposed to tweak in Parallels, the cores? I already ran the Ram up to about 6. I have 8 gigs.

I could stop if I wanted to Phil Read's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

FYI - here's my performance scores running Vista64 in Parallels on i7 MacBook Pro with 8gb ram. I've allocated 4gb ram to the VM.

I'll install Vista64 via BootCamp later next week and rerun.

-Phil

PS - Updated with Windows Vista install via Bootcamp.
    Parallels = 4.7
    Bootcamp = 5.5

Concurrent scores except for Processor: 4.7 vs 5.8 advantage Bootcamp
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Phil Read; 2010-04-25 at 05:22 PM.

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by lklein View Post
    We are purchasing our first iMacs-i7 (historically have been 100% PC). Plan on getting them with 8gb, Windows 7 64bit, parallels. Will be using Revit MEP 2010 and 2011. IT folks are freaking out about adding OSx to their network. Does anyone have comments or suggestions for setting up the iMac w/Revit/Windows7, or suggestions on the network side?
    Boot into Windows all the time - don't even worry about Parallels. If in Parallels, the machine appears to be nothing but a Windows box to the network - the OSX install doesn't bother connecting to the domain, though it can see it.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Macaulay View Post
    Boot into Windows all the time - don't even worry about Parallels. If in Parallels, the machine appears to be nothing but a Windows box to the network - the OSX install doesn't bother connecting to the domain, though it can see it.
    I'm not sure what problem you are describing. If the network sees a Windows box, what is the problem? What is the "OSX Install". Is this a problem related to installing Revit or installing OSX ? I'm thinking of going to a Mac soon and am trying to figure out what problems I am likely to encounter. This would be a home computer, not a work one.

Login to Give a bone

Don't let the Parallels leanings here suggest that it's better than Fusion. Fusion lacks a few eye-candy features of Parallels, but it's rock solid.

Fusion 3 is much improved, however, if Fusion 3 still has specific problems with your video card, that would obviously be a problem. I've also seen benchmarks that suggest Parallels is a little faster with 3D.

I'd strongly suggest downloading free trial versions of both Fusion 3 and Parallels 5 and see which works best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Piazzoni View Post
    Just started using revit 2011 on vmware fusion 2.0 in windows 64xp. Revit works well if I turn off the 3d acceleration. But to get the new realistic view this needs to be turned on. I have an ATI graphics board. I know that fusion has huge issues with this card. Would it make sense to upgrade to 3.0 or should I skip the whole thing and go to parallels?

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Joef View Post
    I'm not sure what problem you are describing. If the network sees a Windows box, what is the problem? What is the "OSX Install". Is this a problem related to installing Revit or installing OSX ? I'm thinking of going to a Mac soon and am trying to figure out what problems I am likely to encounter. This would be a home computer, not a work one.
    There is no problem

I'm just saying that that both OSX and the Windows running under it can connect to network resources - even a Windows Server.

I just priced out a Macbook Pro 15" with only 4Gb of RAM, Core i7, 1680x1050 resolution, with Win 7 installed -- about $2600. To get a Dell with the same specs (actually, with 8Gb RAM)? $1600. If I had the money, I'd still get the Mac though!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Macaulay View Post
    There is no problem

I'm just saying that that both OSX and the Windows running under it can connect to network resources - even a Windows Server.

I just priced out a Macbook Pro 15" with only 4Gb of RAM, Core i7, 1680x1050 resolution, with Win 7 installed -- about $2600. To get a Dell with the same specs (actually, with 8Gb RAM)? $1600. If I had the money, I'd still get the Mac though!
    It seems a bit foolish doesn't it? I've never had a Mac and don't really like them, but the rest of the family has them and being house nerd means I have to deal with them. A lot. Buying a Mac makes me feel like I'm drinking Steve Jobs Kool Aid, but if I can run Revit on it and keep my house nerd status, then it might be worth it.
    I suppose if I want to run Revit on a Mac I will have to include another few hundred bucks for Windows 7. !!!!

All AUGI, all the time BomberAIA's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I got my new MacBook Pro and installed Parallels and Win 7 64 on it. (2.66, 8 gigs of ram.)
    It flies using Revit 2011 64.