See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: How do you name your layouts?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default How do you name your layouts?

A lot of our drawings have more than one layout, depending on discipline and type of drawing. Typically I would name it using a short abbreviation or sheet number or both. How do you name them?

Also, how do you name layouts that are used for design only and layouts that will be part of the final drawing set?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How do you name your layouts?

I use the best-selling book "1001 Layout Names and their Meanings".

I find I use different names for different situations. About the only thing that's consistent is that I favor short names, probably because when I first started using Autocad I had a 15" CRT as opposed to my current 20" flat panel, and it's annoying to have to scroll through layouts.

Sometimes I'll name a layout "(1)" - i.e., a 1 inside parentheses - because if I copy the layout, Autocad automatically names the copy "(2)", then the next copy "(3)", etc. Sometimes I use a description. Sometimes I use a plot scale or paper size (as a surveyor, sometimes I create multiple plots of the same area at different scales or on different paper sizes).

It really depends on the task at hand.

All AUGI, all the time SRBalliet's Avatar
    Near Christiansburg, VA Looking for a closer job!
    Login to Give a bone

I try to have the file name the same as the sheet name, then I break down the layouts as per there description. For example: We we do a construction plan of 6000 feet of road each layout is named for the start and stop of the stationing along that road. This way if some one is asked to plot out such and such dwg they should have no problem finding it.

I could stop if I wanted to Hammer.John.J's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

most of my work has a minimum of 10 sheets per set, so i try to number them from 00-Titlesheet to 10-details, until i figure out how to get it to name my plt files the way i want i have to manually eliminate the "drawing" part out of the naming system which sucks.

usually i just number them 00 to 99 or 000 to 1xx

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: How do you name your layouts?

At the firm I work for we make a point of having only one plot sheet (Layout) per drawing. It makes it less confusing to find the correct sheet and it makes it easier for more than one person to work on the drawaing set.

We usually name the layout to match the plot sheet. if the sheet name is S-1 than the layout name is S-1. So when we plot to "plot file" it will have the layout name matching the the sheet name ie: "<project number>_01-S1-S1.PLT"

BTW we usually add the number of the dwg set in the file name so they "sort" correctly as drawing files and plot files "<project number>_01-S1-S1.PLT" (the 01 represents the first sheet in the set).

Ted

I could stop if I wanted to H.Hunter's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tedg
    At the firm I work for we make a point of having only one plot sheet (Layout) per drawing. It makes it less confusing to find the correct sheet and it makes it easier for more than one person to work on the drawaing set.

We usually name the layout to match the plot sheet. if the sheet name is S-1 than the layout name is S-1. So when we plot to "plot file" it will have the layout name matching the the sheet name ie: "<project number>_01-S1-S1.PLT"

BTW we usually add the number of the dwg set in the file name so they "sort" correctly as drawing files and plot files "<project number>_01-S1-S1.PLT" (the 01 represents the first sheet in the set).

Ted
    I second what Ted said. Unless we're working on construction figures, then we may get a little more elaborate just to keep things clear.

I could stop if I wanted to CadDog's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by boesiii
    A lot of our drawings have more than one layout, depending on discipline and type of drawing. Typically I would name it using a short abbreviation or sheet number or both. How do you name them?

Also, how do you name layouts that are used for design only and layouts that will be part of the final drawing set?

All our drawing are done on Layout1...

K.I.S.S.

That's what our company wants and we have over 20 offices around the U.S. with smallest have 200 CADD stations...

But that is my company... what do we know...

Question....
    If you have 3 designer who gets to work on the drawing..???
    First one to open it...

Sorry, I just need to say that...

If you need to have more than one tab per layout than use the easies way to remember the tabs...

I have see 24x34 border, 12x17 border.... for plot scales...
    I see site plan, grading plan, and utility plan...

really depends on what is easy for you and your company to follow...

Good Luck