Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large Drawing with Large Block

Login to Give a bone

Default Large Drawing with Large Block

Okay, so I have received this extremely large DWG (41 MB) and it is very difficult to work with! Any command takes quite a bit longer to complete, if it completes at all without AutoCAD freezing up in the process.

I was able to get a large block reference out of the drawing and paste it into a new drawing, so that I could explode it and remove a lot of unnecessary information. However, I cannot do anything to the block without CAD freezing up.

I also tried REFEDIT, to treat it like an xref, but it seems that no matter what I do, the command cannot be successfully completed.

Any help?!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Large Drawing with Large Block

Did you wblock the block reference out? Is it really big?

Have you tried using the Design Center to insert the block into another drawing?
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

No I didn't wblock it, I just cut and paste it into an empty drawing.

I can use DC to insert the block, but I need it exploded. I tried BLOCKEDIT, but it froze up during that, also.

The reason I need it exploded is because I'm only working with about 20% of the site. So I could get rid of the other 80% and the drawing performance would increase greatly.

Login to Give a bone

Is it just a block? or are you copying other entities as well? You can explode a block during the insertion process. Look in the lower left corner of the insert command for a check box to Explode.

Have you tried using the drawing as an xref?

I'm just trying to brainstorm with you to see what can help you out.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by steelcitymetal
    Okay, so I have received this extremely large DWG (41 MB) and it is very difficult to work with! Any command takes quite a bit longer to complete, if it completes at all without AutoCAD freezing up in the process.

I was able to get a large block reference out of the drawing and paste it into a new drawing, so that I could explode it and remove a lot of unnecessary information. However, I cannot do anything to the block without CAD freezing up.

I also tried REFEDIT, to treat it like an xref, but it seems that no matter what I do, the command cannot be successfully completed.

Any help?!
    There are the usual suspects: PURGE and AUDIT. Also, use the PURGE command from the command line, not the dialog box, and use the RegApps option.
    Autodesk Civil3D 2018, Revit 2018
    Gig 'Em, Aggies!

Login to Give a bone

What do you mean by "other entities"?

I just tried your idea of exploding during insertion process... It actually inserted the block (which surprised me), but it didn't explode it.

Xref-ing brought the original drawing size down -- still a little sluggish. This will probably be the best solution for my problem.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by steelcitymetal
    What do you mean by "other entities"?

I just tried your idea of exploding during insertion process... It actually inserted the block (which surprised me), but it didn't explode it.

Xref-ing brought the original drawing size down -- still a little sluggish. This will probably be the best solution for my problem.
    Are selecting items other than just a block, such as lines, circles, text, etc. If you are just copying a block, you should be able to just WBLOCK it out to its own drawing which should reduce the file size as well. The original drawing wouldn't change though. You would then need to work on the WBLOCKed drawing.

Xrefing does not reduce the referenced drawing. It just doesn't insert the block definition into the current drawing, unless you bind it.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Why not use Map and Query the area you are interested in and forget the rest.

Login to Give a bone

I haven't done that before, how do you do it?

Login to Give a bone

Open or create your target drawing (the drawing you want the data in). select the map pull down then select query on the fly out select define query.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast