Thread: Sharing pallettes over a netwrok

Login to Give a bone

Question Sharing pallettes over a netwrok

I want to create manage and modify a company standard set of palettes through our network. Here is what I have done so far:

I created and modified several palettes that are stored on a our network server.

I then went to each machine and added a path to those palettes in everyone's options dialog box.

Everything looks good; all the palettes are there and look correct graphically.

BUT- all the paths still reference people's individual C drives and my modifications are not showing up correctly. I can fix it by changing the paths for each item on each palette to the network server, but that is very time consuming and prone to error.

Any help or references I can look at to see what I am doing wrong?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Sharing pallettes over a netwrok

Quote Originally Posted by bkaebisch
    I want to create manage and modify a company standard set of palettes through our network. Here is what I have done so far:

I created and modified several palettes that are stored on a our network server.

I then went to each machine and added a path to those palettes in everyone's options dialog box.

Everything looks good; all the palettes are there and look correct graphically.

BUT- all the paths still reference people's individual C drives and my modifications are not showing up correctly. I can fix it by changing the paths for each item on each palette to the network server, but that is very time consuming and prone to error.

Any help or references I can look at to see what I am doing wrong?

There is a thread called "Networked tool palettes Tutorial" by Dgcad which is very good and should help you out.

Try doing a forum search (I'm not sure how to add a link perhaps somebody else will do so).

Login to Give a bone

Hi bkaebisch (sorry, I don't know your real name),
    Just to verify, have you added the paths in Options/Files/Support File Search Path so Autocad finds the blocks etc. on the server?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

If you use tool catalog's you can publish them to move the content drawings to a new location and re-path the tools that way.

However as I'm having to do this all the time for my customers, I prefer to use a little utility one of our support guys wrote, this allows you to find and replace a text string inside all the .atc files in a tool palette (or any text files in a folder/subfolder). See attached with example screen shot.

For instance you could replace the following text string "C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\Application Data\Autodesk\ADT 2006\enu\Support\" with "I:\ADT\Support\".

Obviously you would need to then copy your support folder into the network folder you specified.

Hope this helps. P.S take a back up of your tool palette files first!.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files